Files Files Files

Chapter 5

After the announcement, our teachers hurried of with a few mumbles. I laughed as I saw how they scurry like ants.  You're a bully. I sat down on my chair as I got my phone. I scrolled through it when a message written in painful red bold letters popped into my cell screen.

"The countdown starts now"

It said. I accidentally dropped my phone and not longer than nanoseconds I got my phone and kissed it like a new born pup. I rubbed off the invisible dirt and opened my phone again. The message continued flashing painfully when a tap on my shoulder brought me back to life.

"Em, are you okay?" Sham asked tapping me with her hammer like hands. "Ouch! Hey chill. Yeah I'm fine. Why'd you asked?" I asked still rubbing my sore shoulder she was tapping. "Nothing. It's just that something is not right." she said. It perked up my curiosity. "like what?" "elaborate" a voice said behind us. We craned our neck and saw May tapping furiously on her IPhone. "The meeting that is." Sham stated. Silence fell when suddenly the after school bell chimed. My classmates stood up hurriedly as they shove in all the possible books and notebooks to be placed inside the locker. I slowly drifted towards my seat when three phones vibrated and sent an irritating buzzing. Mine was one and the other two were Sham's and May's. We made eye contact when I made a face saying bathroom now! They both nodded and made our way with our bags.

After having the bathroom all to ourselves, we locked it up and quickly shared glances. "What's the message?" I asked with great seriousness. Both looked at me with the same level of seriousness.  "The Countdown starts now." both said. I flinched and slowly bore my glances into my own message. "and you?" they asked. I inhaled a lot of air and showed them the message. "Run and Run" both said in unison. "how many times have you received such messages?" May asked suspiciously. "Just got it now." I lied. Suddenly the lights inside the bathroom flickered. May clung to my arm while Sham opened her phone flashlight when the lights totally went down. I sighed and took out my portable flashlight and pushed May gently to the side. "come on. We need to get away from here."

The hallways were barren and the lights keep flashing making my eyes  hurt. Suddenly somebody's phone vibrated. We all stopped short when Sham opened her phone. "Another set of rules?" she said outloud. May clung to Sham and faced the phone towards my line of vision. It flashed in great red forming the words. Grab the file that will change everything. We shared glances when another phone vibrated. I glanced into May's path when she made a remark. We ran to crap knows where when the whole place became an optical illusion. may stopped running when the lights changed color. From the normal white ones, it became red, blue and green. I stopped midway supporting Sham as she made gagging noises. I clawed the wall when the supposed wall is actually a door.  The lot of us went in swimming awkwardly. We dashed inside without a care and adjusted to what the crap happened outside. After a few moments, I got my rhythm back I checked the whole place and made a soft gasp. "The principal's office." "what the hell are we doing here?" May said with a hint of anger. "Because we ran. Duh" Sham replied. I was about to make a remark when the pile of files caught my attention. One folder was covered in crimson red with a seal. You know, those old seals they place in letters since Queen Elizabeth the first. I slowly pulled it out the stocks and opened it carefully. The seal is already opened so no need to destroy the whole thing. I opened it with Sham and May at my back when the content inside made me bit my lip, made May released a gasp and Sham's eyes widened. "What are these for?" Sham asked cautiously taking her biography. "it's not just ours though, seems like everyone is here. Even the freshmen." May silently mumbled. I placed the file on a flat surface and checked everyone's biography. I saw some stapled papers and made a move to get it when it fell down. I slowly picked it up and saw my classmates biography in alphabetical form. "John Vincent Aldonza, Michael Ancajas, Jay Christian Dacalos, Jackie Daniel, Salbino Helasque, Roland Mathew Nabua, Philip Joshua Timkang" I started. "Chelsea Camille Ababa, Charlyn Anne Badayos, Mel Grace Barcelo, Noreen Louise Borcess, Shela Cais, Precious Caneda, Emily Vulla Carbonell, Maria Roselin Delima, Marife Gonzales, Sophia Rose Igaran, Judelyn Injug, Sharyl Moarie Jurado, Jasmenne Ira Leopando, Rema Christy Loremas, Hannah Maisog, Erika Nava, Wynn Theres Navarro, Theresa May Padolina, Ahn Rondina, Shyamelissa Sunder, Michelle Tanilon, Celtin Villiantes." that's all of us. May said still in shock.

Suddenly we heard a pair of footsteps and unlocking of locks. My heart jumped and quickly fixed the files. "come on!" I hissed. They helped me up and made a run for it.

This is not a normal day.