Chapter Twenty-four

Jace's POV

After Jason went in, everything seemed to go faster. I was glad for that, I wanted to get back into our library and see if there was anything that could help us get rid of this sickness quicker. I couldn't take looking into her lifeless gray eyes any longer, even though I've only seen her once.

I had my little chat with Alec again earlier, being the protective mother I am I punched him a couple of times but then it ended in us hugging. Again. I have to admit, hugging is my thing. Clary said that Ana wanted to say bye to me after everyone was done. The last person to go was my daughter, Olivia. She seemed pretty pleased with herself when she left, like Ana had agreed to do something for her... whatever I'd just ask her when I saw her. 

I ushered everyone out of the apartment and told them that I would meet them back at the institute. Alec and Jackson decided to tag along, Alec probably wanted training time. Aiden and Magnus stayed in the living room and practiced some of their magic tricks. I chuckled at the sight. Magnus was spouting blue flames from his hands, they were actually really beautiful. Aiden raised his hands and green ones sparked from his fingers. He smiled, a smile that only showed so much joy. I loved seeing it when Anastasia did that... but she's been doing it less and less nowadays... I don't think she will be for a while. 

I quietly shut the door after I get inside, she is smiling but it's only a fake weak one. I sigh and smile back, just like she did. I sat down on the edge of the bed, I looked at her and then she sighed at sat up. 

"I just wanted to say goodbye to you, I know this illness may last quite a while..." She trailed off, I knew she was searching for the right words. "And if I end up... you know..." She nodded her head until I sucked in a sharp breathe, no there was no way that was going to happen. "But, I just wanted to say... thank you."

"For what?" 

"Putting up with my shit." I smiled, she was so adorable. I just had to hug her, I just had to! I pulled her into a warm embrace, she sighed and squeezed me back.

"Anything for the girl with a badass attitude like mine." I felt her vibrate with laughter against my body, and I smiled. I had missed her childish laugh. It wasn't like anyone else's I knew, it was more foreign to me than anything. It was more like a giggle really, her whole laugh is a giggle and that's what I just love about this tiny fourteen-year-old. 

She pulled away from my tight grip, struggling to breathe. I refused to let her go until she said, 'Jace is the most handsome Herondale in the universe.' of course she refused so instead I had her say, "I like mangoes, especially Jace's" I burst out laughing, I fell to the floor and she soon joined in. She coughed a little and I stood up serious again, she held out a hand to me signaling that all was good is da hood. I hugged her once more before leaving, but then I remember something.

"Why was Olivia so happy when she left?" She let out an airily laugh.

"She asked me to train her on how to be like me, I happily agreed. I mean who wouldn't want to be my magnificent self?" I smiled and left the room sprinting back to the institute's library.  

I wasn't going to lose her, not after we had just found her again.

Ana's POV

Being sick isn't all that bad, I mean hey? On the bright side, I get to be lazy all day. That's something right? Yeah!

I rubbed my eyes, my ruff skin scratched against them causing me to wince in pain. I looked over at my big stack of books on the coffee table next to me. I took the top one, examining the cover. It looked beautiful, and it smelled new. I took in a big whiff, I loved this smell. It reminded me of the library at the California institute, running in there after training everyday to get some reading done. Sometimes my father would ask me to read to him, whenever he asked I'd read until he told me to stop.

Most of the time we would sit there for hours, me reading to him was his favorite thing and me training with him was mine. I felt tears threaten to fall, I try to push them back but it doesn't work. I end up laying there sobbing like a little girl who has just lost their favorite teddy bear. But I am a little girl, but I lost my father instead. 

"Daddy..." I whisper into the nothingness of the empty room, "Daddy I miss you..." Then I started sobbing harder and harder until I had no tears left. I chugged the water in the cup next to me just so I could cry even more. All these tears are bringing back those awful memories of the past, of course when I say 'awful' I mean they are so good that I can't even remember them.

A memory flashes before my eyes and I see me, I am running towards my father. We are playing in our favorite meadow in California. He picks me up and spins me around. I very young when this happened, only three-years-old. I was only two feet tall and my hair was down to my shoulders. It was still bright, brighter than the afternoon sun. My eyes were still their blue and my father was still the same, he always was. He never changed, and that's what made him so special. He hugged me tight and whispered, "My princess..." Into my ear, I felt more tears fall when another memory came to mind.

It was one day in the training room, I was eight years old. My father and I were sparring, he was winning. I had to think fast if I wanted to not lose and disappoint him. I rolled underneath his legs  quick and he was down in seconds. I jumped on him laughing and screeching "I win! I win!" He simply smiles and throws his hands up in defense. 

"Alright, Alright. I give, I give." He smiles and picks me up again, "My princess wins, again."

I cry, and cry, and cry until I hear the sound of laughter echoing through the apartment once more. I quiet myself and slowly fall asleep, dreaming about all those painful moments that I will never share with him again.