Chapter thirty-five

Ana's POV

The dress, shit. I had to strip in front of Izzy so she could put the corset on me, and then I had to 'suck it in' just to get the damn thing tight enough to get the actually dress on! I couldn't breathe, but I guess that's what beauty is... Right?

I stepped out from the bathroom, ready to leave. Izzy looked like she was about to cry and Magnus well... He looked like a dying whale... His face was red and his expression was... Very unexplainable. I just can't even. No.

"What?" I asked because I was very confused. "Is it that bad?" I asked taking a step closer to them. They shook their heads very violently. "So I look okay."

"You look gorgeous." Said a voice coming through the doorway. Uncle Damian, my fathers brother, was smiling very proudly while walking up behind the two pained whales I call Magnus Bane and Isabelle Lewis.

"N-now Damian... I don't think we should take it that far...." I said trying to hide my blush as hard as possible. He chuckled.

"No no it's true. You are very beautiful." He said tightening his... Shirt thing... I don't know exactly what it's called... Not much of a 19th century fanatic here.

"Now now hurry up you two! You'll be late for the-" Magnus snapped his fingers and they were both instantly ready. They both managed to look less like dying whales as well, thank the Angel.

"Well then... Ana, you wait here. I'll have an escort here for you in a minute. Izzy and Magnus, your escorts are here." He smiled and gestured to the door. Alec and Simon came through the door, mouths wide.

"Well don't you look handsome, Alec?" Magnus smirked at him and he blushed. Alec was wearing a very striking blue outfit that made his eyes pop out of his head almost.

"Izzy, looking beautiful as ever." Said Simon smiling proudly at her. Izzy just nodded slyly. I sighed and sat back down in my chair. They were all so cute together... I wish I wasn't so alone....

"Well we better get going...." Said a voice trailing off coming through the door... It was Jason. He stood there wide eyed, mouth almost all the way open. I decided to be sarcastic and say

"Better close your mouth or you'll catch flies." I closed his mouth for him and chuckled. He started breathing heavy and sweating.

"Oh what is it?" I said crossing my arms.

Everyone 'awed' when he said, "you look.... Gorgeous." I blushed redder than a tomato.

"Told you" Uncle Damian said. I scowled at him. Jason was still standing there wide eyed, I smirked at him.

"Well Romeo, are you going to properly escort me or what?" I chuckled and he shook his head.

"Y-yes of course... m-my lady..." I giggled and hooked my arm in his. Izzy, Simon, and Magnus all 'awed' at us. I blushed, I haven't blushed this much since well... ever actually. Jason and I began to walk out of the door, together. I hesitated a bit and let the others pass. I sighed and began fanning myself.

"What's wrong, Ana?" I forced out the fakest smile I could muster.

"Oh it's nothing." I said still smiling like an idiot. I saw the hurt in Jason's bright green eyes but I pushed the thought of telling him away. "Let's just go, please?" He smiled and pulled me forward.

The party was huge! Classical violin music played in the background, 30 to 40 people were dancing and like 3 or 4 had were sitting down because of dancing to hard. A person who caught my eye that was sitting down in one of the corners in a long slender chair was a woman who looked kind of like Isabelle only with lighter skin, and a much older looking face. That must be Maryse Lightwood.

I excused myself from Jason and began walking in her direction. A heavy weight made my steps slower and smaller until it finally made me stop only a few feel away from her. The weight of nervousness was taking over my body. Dammit Anastasia! Stop being such a pussy! And so I moved those last few steps stopping in front of her.

She looked confused, so I spoke. "H-hello... Mrs. Lightwood... I'm Anastasia Dragonway... Mr. Herondale told me you wanted to speak with me?" Her faced perked up at my words, oh thank the Angel! I actually spoke!

"Why hello there Anastasia, I simply couldn't wait to meet you. You're the spitting image of your father you know, you have the same beautiful blue eyes." She smiled proudly, I had to force back my tears.

"Yes I certainly do, oh and please. Call me Ana." I smiled as normal as I could at her, she seemed pleased.

"I'm very sorry about your loss dear. He meant a great deal to me too." She looked down, she seemed distant just now... Like she was having a flash of memory about him... Kinda like the ones I had.

"You knew my father?" She nodded softly, still looking down and away from me. "We were close friends him and I, Robert and him used to be best friends until well... Oh you don't need to know the details now! It's a party! Go enjoy yourself deary, you look beautiful tonight! Don't let that go to waste." She nodded her head towards Jason and smirked at me, I blushed.

"Y-yes well... Goodbye then Mrs. Lightwood. I hope you have a wonderful evening." I waved at her and she smiled.

"And to you as well you sweet child." And with that I left, sighing. What was it that happened between my father and that Robert guy that was probably her husband or something? What made them split?

I was determined to find this out, even if it meant doing a little bit of spying...