Chapter 11: 1993

Around 7 the next morning I woke up to the sound of a piano playing.

Well it makes a change from wakening up to the sound of doors slamming and people screaming.

But I didn't get up – if that's what you're thinking. I laid there just listening to it for a while. It sounded like something classical, but I couldn't tell you if the person who was playing had written it themselves or if they were playing something that was well known.

Im not big on classical music. Then I drifted back off to sleep.

The next time I woke up, it was a more appropriate time. 11 to be exact.

I clambered out of the bed, then I realised I'd gone to sleep with all my clothes on.

God I must have been tired! 

I desperately needed a shower; I unzipped nearly all of my suitcases looking for my toiletries and things, when eventually I found them. And- well I didn't seem to need to get my old clothes; I had a shed load of new ones. So I'd be wearing them.

I still couldn't believe this room was for me. So anyway I walked over to the door, blah blah blah.

I almost had the fright of my life when I opened the door and found Alice standing outside (waiting for me I presume)

"God Alice you scared me! I was just going to try and find-"

"The bathroom? Yea I know, come on I'll show you!" she danced off down the corridor, and I just followed. It was clear witch one of us was the morning person.

She showed me the bathroom, and said that when I was done to come down stairs for some breakfast. I wondered if Emily was up yet, my guess was 'no she wasn't' and to be honest, she wouldn't be for at least another 3 hours. What! She's a teenager ok, Im the same most of the time.

The bathroom – like every other room in this house – was amazing.

The shower was huge! They even had one of those baths… the deep ones with the lion feet on the bottom. I'd always wanted one of those baths!

But I still preferred to shower.

So I went about my business, washing my hair and all the rest.

There was a towelling robe on the back of the door (for me im guessing) so I put that on once I was dried, and had my hair wrapped up in one of those – only women can do turban things- I couldn't remember what Alice said I should do with my clothes, so I just carried them back to my room with me. And slung them in the direction of my suitcases.

I had to rummage again for my hair dryer and straighteners. So I sat down at the dressing table, and blow dried my hair.

I wasn't going to straighten it, but I didn't feel like looking all girly and sweet with my curls, so I straightened it instead. I really was stalling for time.

And then, just to undermine all the work I'd done on my hair, I put it up in a scruffy bun (y'know the ones that are in fashion now, not some kind of ballerina bun)

And then I put on my makeup – i never ever not weak makeup. I put on some foundation, and just some mascara. I couldn't be bothered with eyeliner and all that since I wasn't going out. After battling my way through the huge wardrobe, I found a stunning pair of skinny jeans, and a lovely top to go with them.

Dark blue denim and a baggy crop top with bold black writing on it.

Lovely. 

I didn't bother putting any shoes on, because I wasn't going anywhere, and I don't like to walk around with shoes on.

I don't know what was wrong with me, normally I just wouldn't give a crap about what people thought about me and just get on with doing what I wanted to do.

But I had respect for these people already.

I padded down the cold steps slowly, but not too slowly that I looked like there was something wrong with me. And then I came into the kitchen area.

Bella and Esme were cooking food, and I could see Ness and Seth sitting at the table waiting patiently. Does that boy ever leave her side?

"Morning" Ness smiled at me as I walked into the kitchen.

"Morning" I smiled back at her, as I slid onto the high stool.

It really felt awkward.

"Did you sleep well?" That was Bella.

"Yea, I had a great sleep thanks. What are you cooking?"

"You're all having pancakes!" she acted as if it was something to be excited about, and Ness and Seth did look happy at that announcement.

But I have never been able to figure out why they eat pancakes for breakfast.

So I wasn't about to pass up the chance to find out what these mysterious pancakes tasted like.

Then the back door, opened and The Elvis and Joh - right no, im going to stop calling him that- Edward walked into the kitchen and sat down on another stool.

"Morning Kate"

"Morning" I smiled.

"I was thinking that you and Renesmee could get to know each other a little bit better while we wait for your breakfast."

"Umm, ok?"

It was like they'd practiced this, and were just waiting for me to come down so they could put it all into action.

"So Kate… how old are you?" She cocked her head to the side a little, waiting for my answer.

I raised my eyebrows "18 why?"

"Oh nothing im just curious… so you weren't born in 2006 then? "

Maybe this girl failed maths, I don't know. But I had to laugh.

"No, of course I wasn't! Do I look like a 5 year old?" I don't know what I'd said, but they all just looked at my strangely. Even Esme and Bella had stopped to listen.

I also had Edwards full attention, he was scrutinising me again.

"So when were you born?" I didn't like the way he was asking that, like I was supposed to be born in a different year? Even though I was 18?

"I was born in 1993. Like any other 18 year old?"

They all just stood/sat there in silence watching me. God id fucked up already. Might as well go and pack my bags now.

Edward didn't take his eyes off me, and I would be freaked out if he wasn't married. Ok that's not true. Him being married and still staring at me like that wasn't right. He even looked quite furious. What had I done?

Renesmee looked just as shocked as Edward. God I don't know what they were expecting me to say.

Christ this family could be weird at times.

Bella and Esme recovered quicker from their shocked faces, and put the pancakes down in front of me, Ness and Seth.

I dug in, trying to ignore the fact that everyone was staring at me like I'd just grown two heads. Seth didn't look like he cared either way, and just wolfed his food down.

Renesmee managed to peel her eyes off me long enough for her to start eating.

"Edward, why don't you go see where Carlisle is?" He watched Esme, and then nodded.

(He was always watching people this guy)

"Yes, Your right. I'll go find him"

'Your right?' She didn't say anything, just asked him to go find Carlisle.

Edward left, and I carried on eating (the very delicious pancakes, now I see what the fuss is about) and pretended that I hadn't caught that mistake.