Chapter 16: Not much to like

I might have fallen asleep, I don't know. But I doubt it. I just laid there watching the red numbers on my clock tick by, minuet by minuet hour by hour.

Then like clockwork my door was flung open by an ever happy Alice who danced into my room like there wasn't a problem in the world.

"Kate!"

I just laid there and looked at her "what do you want?" my voice sounded as cold as I felt, it even shocked me.

"Kate, I know your… upset about the news, but it's really not that bad"

Mhmm and how would she know. I just carried on lying there looking at her with my ice cold gaze. She seemed to get the message and changed the subject.

"We're all going out hunting tonight; we won't be back until late. So you'll be ok here on your own won't you? Yes of course you will, you're a good girl now!" why even bother asking me if your just gonna' answer your own question? "You'll be here when we get back won't you?"

"Yea, I guess" … maybe. 

"Good! We're going now, so I'll see you when we get back!" then she just – literally skipped - out of my room. What was she 5? She was beginning to great on my nerves.

The door slammed and it was like a switch was flicked in my brain. What the fuck was I doing laying here wallowing, feeling sorry for myself? This wasn't me!

I got out of bed, like I'd be electrocuted and followed Alice's path out of my room but I turned down the hall to Emily's room. I flung open her door.

And out of all the times, that we've said the same thing, or done the same thing at the same time. This has to be the coolest. She was standing there in the middle of the room, like she was just about to come to my room.

"What the hell are we doing Kate?" I walked in slamming the door behind me.

"I know, this isn't us. We need to do something. And I have the perfect idea" I waggled my eyebrows at her.

"Oh yes! What's that saying Kate? When the going gets tough… hit the bottle?"

I laughed at her "yea that's it! We better get ready then."

I went back to my room, and went through the normal channels that I took when I was getting ready to go out. Yea you got it, we're going out.

I showered, did my hair and makeup and then got dressed. My hair was in loose curls with lots of volume, and my makeup was dark with smoky eyes, and blusher with some light pink lip gloss. It was certainly the heaviest id worn my makeup since I got here.

I wore a tight black dress with sort of like a netting material on the sleeves so they hung big and baggy. And I wore matt black heels. I was dressed to kill. Well I had to laugh at that because well, I was half vampire.

When Em came out of her room, she looked equally as stunning, with her short hair arranged in some sort of funky bouffant style and a tight blue dress, similar to mine, but without the sleeves.

Now I know what you're thinking, the drinking age is 21 in America. But do not fear, we wouldn't go anywhere without our fake ID. Well it's not so much fake as… just not ours. On my ID my name was Rebecca and I was 21. But it was good enough, and it worked every time. Emily's name was Hannah and she was also 21.

We went down all the way down to the first floor of the house.

"Kate, we should phone a taxi or something, get it to take us to the clubs"

"I don't know the address of this place though"

"Yea good point, I'll have a look for something maybe with an address on"

Emily was rummaging through the doors in some desk near the front door, when I spotted another door at the back of the room. I expected it to be hard to open or something, but when I turned to door knob it just swung open easily.

Jackpot! This was like some kind of car show room!

"Ahh, Em? I don't think we're gonna' need a taxi after all" I stepped down into the garage, there was so many cars. There was a jeep, a yellow sort of sports car – god knows what it was – the Mercedes that Carlisle drove, a kind of less posh car, that (when I looked) was a Volvo, there was even a red convertible. And then… then! Sitting all alone at the end of the row was a Ferrari.

Emily was right behind me, she also drawn to this car.

"We'll take this one!" I had a mocking voice. Emily was already inspecting the driver's side of the car "Look" she looked up at me with a devious smile. "It's even got the keys in the ignition" she held up the keys to me, and there was a single key ring hanging from it.

"What's that key ring Em?"

"It says 'Bella'" oh god I just couldn't help myself. I mean there really wasn't much for me to like about this girl anyway, but after hearing Jacobs story. There was a lot for me not to like.

I just couldn't pass up a joy ride in her precious car.

"Get in!" I came round to Emily, and grabbed the keys off her, and got in the car. She just laughed and got in the passenger side.

As soon as I started the engine, the garage door opened like it was automatic or something. I gripped the steering wheel, and pressed on the throttle gently. As soon as I got the hang of driving this baby, I wasn't going to hold back! But I didn't want to throw the back end of it out and crash before we'd even got to the road.

I'd see on the news once, Cristiano Ronaldo a famous football (soccer) player had crashed his Ferrari because he was driving it too fast and lost control.

Well that wasn't going to happen to us.