Chapter 63- Tension

Chapter 63- Tension

Cammie pov

It was 3 days before Christmas. Zach and I got off for break a few days ago. We came back from our trip not too long ago. My parents have no idea that we went together, or so I hope. So far they haven't said anything yet, which I take as a good sign.

Personally, I thought that the trip was informative. I earned a lot about the colleges and their environments. It's helped me prioritize me choices. Also seeing my old friends made me realize how much I changed, and how much I have come forward as a person. A year ago all I could think of was getting revenge on the guy that broke my heart not even considering that there was another side ot the story. Now look where I am.

Anyway, I had more pressing matters at hand. My parents presented me with a dilemma not to long ago and I have no idea what to do. They asked me to invite Zach and his mother to dinner with us on Christmas Eve. I was freaking out. Catherine, Zach and Townsend in the same room, it is going to be disastrous to say the least. And its not like I could tell my parents of the potential dangers without revealing anything. I can't tell them about their family relationship because it would be betraying Zach's trust. I already told them that it might be awkward with Catherine. However they insisted that they wanted her to come because she was Zach's family. While I was happy that they were warming up to Zach, this can't happen. Also, did I mention how stubborn my parents are? They won't leave me alone until they hear me ask my boyfriend in person.

This was way too much stress for a break from school.

There were so many things that could wrong with this dinner. Townsend might recognize Catherine. Anybody with eyes might realize the striking resemblance between Zach and Townsend. And what about Aunt Abby, how would she take the news that her boyfriend has a son he never knew about? I refused to let myself think off all the possible scenarios that could go wrong. This led me to wonder how I was going to ask Zach. If I don't do it, my parents will and that would just be awkward and horrible. So to spare everyone the pain, I took it upon myself.

I figured the best way to tell him was to say it straight forwardly. There was no point in sugarcoating it or beating around the bush. That was why I immediately called him going up to my room after announcing to my parents that I was going to call him.

"My parents want me to invite you and your mom to Christmas dinner." I paused. "With Abby and Townsend."

"No." On the bright side, he reacted exactly how I expected him to. And I don't blame him, if the roles were reversed I would feel the same way. He's not ready to face all of this, and I respect that. Forcing him into this would only do harm.

"I understand. I just needed to tell you in case they don't believe me."

"Look Cammie its not that-." I cut him off at that point. He didn't need to explain himself. "You don't need to justify anything Zach, I'm not angry and for the record I wasn't in favor of this regardless." I heard him sigh. "Thank you Cammie." I smiled.

"I'm always here for you Zach." I was about to say more about how much I supported him when I heard my mom calling me from downstairs. She was probably wondering what his answer was. I wonder what their sudden interest in Zach's family is. I groaned. "I hate to end this conversation like this but my mom is calling me for something." We both knew what that something was, but I didn't see the point to saying it aloud and making him feel even more jittery. We said bye to each other and I made my way downstairs.

"You called?" I asked stepping into the living room where my mom was sitting on the couch with a serious expression on her face.

"He said no. Zach and his mom want to spend a quiet Christmas together this year." I admit, the last part was a partial lie, but what she doesn't know won't hurt her. She nodded, patted my shoulder and walked to the other room without uttering another word.