Chapter 75- One Step Forward

Chapter 75-One Step Forward

Cammie pov

It’s a few days before prom. The months since January have flown by. The end of the school year was quickly approaching. My days of high school were coming to an end. Frankly I have been waiting for graduation for a while. Almost 6 months to be exact.

Now that prom was approaching, Macey has been driving me crazy. Fortunately for me I already had my dress for a while now. Macey bought it for me as my Christmas present because she didn’t think I was capable of getting a nice one on my own. And she was probably right.

The dress was a red strapless floor length gown. It had a dark beaded bodice and a ruffled bottom. The front of the gown had a cutout so you could see my legs. That wasn’t even the worst of it,  I had to buy a strapless bra for this dress. It was one of the many sacrifices I had to make.

Personally I thought the dress would make me stand out too much. Regardless, it was beautiful and Macey would not let me go dressed in anything other than this.

She also helped Bex and Liz find their own dresses. Liz had an adorable pale pink strapless dress that came to her knees. It had a sweetheart neckline and a lace overlay. It fit her personality perfectly. On the other hand, Bex had a lilac hi-lo a-line dress. It was simple, and elegant. Bex would pull it off perfectly.

Macey was another topic. She was still searching for her dress. It’s not like she didn’t have options, she had over 5 dresses to choose from. And every single day she texted up pictures of her wearing every single on, the hairstyles she would wear with it, the ties she picked out for Preston and her accessories. And that wasn’t even everything.

Macey was going to the prom with Preston, Bex with Grant and Liz with Jonas. I was the only one without a date, and a dress that I had since December.

At the thought of Christmas gifts, I reached forward to grab the necklace that has been there since I got it, a locket with a simple engraving. Simple, yet so meaningful. He didn’t know that I still wear it. I had no reason to take it off.

I sighed, my thoughts just made me realize how lonely I was. My friends all had dates and boyfriends, and the one person who I consider to be my boyfriend refuses to acknowledge our feelings for each other.

It’s not all him though. I have some news that I plan on sharing with a certain smirker soon enough. I am surprised I haven’t spilled it already. I knew he wasn’t ready to hear it now, but I have to do it at graduation whether he is or not. I don’t have much of a choice. He is going to find out either way and it’s better if it comes from me.

This is probably the part where I tell you what has been going on with Zach and I. It was complicated to put the entire situation into simpler words. We weren't’ dating (yet) and we weren’t complete strangers.

He made it clear that we were only friends, and that was all we would ever be in the future. I would be lying if I said it didn’t hurt. He said it to me one day when we went on a walk. We were talking about something, I can’t remember what it was, that was not what is important. Its the events that come later that matters.

We stopped and looked into each other’s eyes. I leaned in to kiss him. He closed his eyes and made no movement to stop me. It was only when his lips brushed mine that he pulled away.

“We can’t do this Cammie. I don’t care about you like that anymore. We can only be friends.” Lies, lies and more lies. I thought he was done hurting me with his lies.

We both knew he didn’t mean it. Even his tone of voice betrayed him. He knew what I was about to do and didn’t stop me. Regardless,  I knew him well enough to read between the lines. I knew exactly what he was saying.