Chapter 72-The Big Mistake

Chapter 72- The Big Mistake 

Zach pov

In hindsight I should have said anything other than "we need to talk." It sends out a bunch of mixed signals. Cammie stayed silent for a while before responding.

"Are you sure you want to do this over the phone?" Her voice didn't reveal anything to me. I hope she didn't take it the wrong way. I began to freak out. I still don't know how to phrase everything. Maybe I should have waited another week to tell her.

"It's important, we should meet in person." At least that way I could give myself an extra five minutes. I am such a coward. Why am I so scared to tell her? Maybe because she might hate me. I won't know until I tell her. It's time for me to man up.

"Ok do you want to talk at your house?"

"Meet me in Roseville Park in 10 minutes." I knew I was pushing it timewise, but if I didn't do this now, I don't think I could in the future.

"Sure Zach." And then she hung on up me. I sighed and put the phone down. She seemed confused, not that I blame her. I tried to gather my thoughts as I walked to the park. Normally it would be a 5 minute walk, however, today I was going slower. I was nervous, that was a given.

How will she take the news? Will she hate me? Probably yes, but for how long? Will she break up with me? Is she going to slap me? Will she let me finish my explanation?

All these questions were driving me crazy. The stress, the anxiety and the feeling like I had the weight of the world on my shoulders was too much. I told myself it would all be over soon. I would know Cammie's reaction in a few minutes and maybe the feeling of guilty would go away. We'll see what happens.

By the time I already got to the park, Cammie was already there waiting on a park bench. She looked around nervous wrapped up in her thick coat and red scarf. Her cheeks were pink from the cold.

It was cold outside, every breath I took was frosted in the frigid air. I made my way over to her shoving my hands in my pockets. I should have worn gloves.

She stood up once I came close. Cammie took one good look at my face and said, "Is everything alright Zach?" There is no backing out now. I was too nervous to form any words so I shrugged.

"What does that mean?"

"I'm not exactly sure Cammie." I told her honestly. "You may want to sit down for this." She sits back down on the bench worried.

"What is going on Zach, you don't look well." She's right, all this stress was starting to take a toll on me. The guilt was eating me away.

I froze and then out of nowhere I blurted out my encounter with my mother to Cammie. She stood there completely still as I told her how my mother hates her for a dumb reason, hates her aunt for dating my dad and hates my dad in general. I told her how she seemed like she was slowly losing her grip on sanity. I told her how I wanted to check up on her more often, no matter what she did, she was still my mother. I let Cammie know that I believe that she was wrong in whatever she said, especially about Cammie. She is using everyone else as a scapegoat in a mistake she made almost 18 years ago.

"Is that what you really wanted to tell me?" She knew me too well. She knew I was stalling. I shook my head.

"There's something I have to tell you Cammie. You may not like it but please promise me that you will wait until I finish explaining." I pleaded with her. She nodded slowly. "I promise Zach."

I took a deep breath. Here goes nothing. "I haven't been completely honest with you lately. I know that you know this, but you haven't asked what it is yet. Although I know you are dying to know what is it I'm keeping from you. And I have a good reason too."