four | miss independent

Heart looked at herself in the mirror, examining the fourth outfit she's tried on in the last five minutes. Logan sat on her bed, patiently keeping her company.

"Does this look okay?" She asked the six year old. He shrugged and nodded, as he did with the last outfits she asked about.

"It's nice." He kicked his feet as his head tilted sideways.

"Ugh. I don't like it."

"Heart." Logan whined. "All your outfits look the same. They're all nice. I don't know why it's such a big deal." 

"Sorry Logan, it's just that I'm meeting up with a friend."

"A friend? You don't have much friends. Who's your friend?"She looked back at him, a bit appalled at his statement. You would've thought he was grown.

She looked down as she fiddled with the bottom of her shirt and softly smiled to herself. "His name is Wardell." She simply said, making sure not to give too much away being that Logan was a big fan of his.

"Wardell? He has a weird name." Heart shrugged.

"I think it's a nice name."

"Well, for someone with that kind of name, I think your outfit is okay."

"What does that mean, Logan?"

"I don't think you have to try too hard to make him happy. You look nice in those clothes, it should be okay." She chuckled and playfully rubbed his head.

"Alright munchkin, if you say so. You're getting a little too smart for me, you know that?" She took one last look at her outfit. She fixed her loose, v-neck sweater and tugged on her distressed jeans before she bent over to put on her ankle boots. She applied a bit of tinted lipgloss to her lips to give it a little color before Logan ran back into the room with her phone.

"Wardell's calling you." Heart smiled as she took the phone and answered the call.

"Hello?"

"I hope you haven't forgotten about me."

"Excuse me? Who are you again?" He chuckled.

"Funny. I'm outside. Well, I hope I'm outside the right house."

"Time to find out huh?" She quickly ended the call to play with the man's mind for a little bit. She squatted to get to eye level with Logan, the boy looking a bit upset. "Hey, don't look at me like that." Heart pouted.

"Can I come?" She sighed.

"Maybe next time, okay? I'll be home sooner than you know it."

"Okay." He looked down at his feet, making Heart lift his chin with her finger. 

"I love you." She pecked him on the cheek before she hugged him one last time. She honestly hated leaving him, but sometimes, she really had no choice. She grabbed her bag before leaving the apartment. She walked out, the sun blinding her eye sight for a minute.

"The sun too bright for you?" Stephen laughed at her as he leaned against his car.

"Get smart with me again & I'll walk right back into my house." She said, putting her hand on her hip. 

"We don't want that, now do we?" He steps aside as he opens the passenger door for her. She playfully rolls her eyes as she gets situated into his fancy and very clean Porsche. It smelled like a new car infused with his cologne, & it was already driving Heart crazy. She wasn't trying to make it obvious, but her facial expression said otherwise. "Don't be so tense." Stephen said as he started up the car.