nine | appreciation

THE DAY BEFORE THE DATE

"Come on, just let me take you out." Stephen smiled as he heard Heart giggle on the other side of the line.

"Wardell, really? You don't need to take me to a fancy place just to eat some expensive food."

"That's besides the point. I just want to take you out on a nice date."

"I don't know if Logan will let me. He looks for me around that time. I don't know if I can just leave him."

"Well, can you put him on the phone so I could ask?"

"You're really too much, you know that right?" He heard shuffling before a young, 6 year old boy took over the line. 

"Hello?" Stephen chuckled quietly.

"Hey Logan, this is Wardell, Heart's friend." 

"Hello Wardell, what do you need?" He could easily hear Heart's sass through the young boy. 

"I just wanted to ask if I could take Heart out."

"Where are you taking her?"

"To a nice dinner."

"How long are you going to be out for?"

"Not too long."

"What time will you bring her back?" He laughed, hearing Heart in the background tell Logan to stop asking too many questions.

"Before midnight." Logan sighed.

"That's still too late, are you sure you're going to bring her back?" He whined. 

"Yes, I will."

"Okay, I guess so."

"Thanks my man, I owe you."

"Sure, but you know, your name is weird--" Steph heard Heart take over the line quickly. "Sorry." 

"It's alright." He laughed. "I've gotten my permission, so I'll pick you up at 6 tomorrow."

~

PRESENT

Stephen sat up as he looked in the small rear view mirror to fix his rusty brown tie. "Damn Wardell, you did good today." He smiled to himself as he clapped his hands before getting out of the car. He grabbed the bouquet of light pink peonies, giving them a smell as he leaned against the car to wait for Heart. His eyes widened, seeing her walk towards him in a beige sweater dress, black knee-high boots and a darker tan peacoat. Her hair hung effortlessly in loose curls over her shoulders, her scent slowly filling his nose.

"W-wow. You look amazing, Heart." He looked at her up and down as she smiled and stood in front of him.

"Thank you. You don't look too bad yourself." She giggled.