Chapter Forty-Two

Malice treaded carefully down the dusty steps. It had clearly been quite awhile since anyone had been down here, and she wondered what in the world could be hiding beneath Bane's tomb. Kylo followed closely behind her, tensed and ready to pull her back if she triggered any traps.

But Malice didn't feel any feelings of danger or alarm. She felt surprisingly calm, and like something was slowly pulling her towards it. This was definitely where they were supposed to be going, and she was growing more and more curious as to what lay at the bottom.

Their steps echoed off the walls and Malice saw light ahead of them. Her pace quickened slightly and Kylo followed quickly. She took her first step of the ground below and looked around.

They seemed to be in some sort of chamber. Torches were lit and flickered from their spots on the wall, and another large, table looking stone lay in the middle. She slowly walked towards it, not seeming to be paying attention to anything around them.

Kylo, on the other hand, was still very much on his guard. He was noticing the little things, like how the torches were lit even though it seemed that no one had been here in a very long time. Had they just been burning eternally since they were lit? He wouldn't have been surprised if they were feeding off the dark side energy swirling around the place.

As they approached the table, Malice stopped, looking down at it. It had a few of the old inscriptions that so many other places in the building had, but it also seemed to have pictures depicting its past use.

"Interesting." She said, crouching to look at them. Kylo joined her and glanced down.

"What do they say?" He asked. She stood, running a hand over the table.

"It looks like this was a sacrificial table of some sort. People were brought here and killed to serve some purpose of another."  She answered, peering around the room. Besides the table there wasn't s lot left, but hidden in a shadowy corner, was another doorway that they hadn't seen. They walked towards it, and this room was very dark.

No torches lit it, and the darkness was thick and impenetrable. Malice reached back into the other room, picking a torch up off the wall and attempting to bring it into the room. But as soon as it passed through the doorway, the fire extinguished. It seemed no source of light would be able to enter. She handed the torch back to Kylo, and it ignited again once in the other room.

She took a deep breath, slowly taking a step into the dark room, but was pulled back slightly by Kylo.

"We don't know what's in there. We can't even see into the room."

"Perhaps that's the point." She told him. "Not being able to see but trusting the force."

Kylo frowned but released her arm, letting her go further into the room. Not only was it pitch black, but it was freezing as well, much different from the hot, desert like planet it was on. She reached a hand out, using the force to slowly navigate her way through the room without hitting the walls. But she was surprised to find the entire room empty minus another large, stone table. As she approached it, the power of the dark energy grew, and it was making her feel almost too powerful. She laid her hands on the table, and suddenly she knew.

This was it. This is where she had been meant to go. This was the true tomb of Darth Bane, master Sith and creator of the rule of two, the code that had kept the Sith alive for thousands of years. At the touch of her hand, the top of the tomb slowly began to slide off. A faint blue light lit the inside of the tomb, finally allowing her to see what was in the room.

A large skeleton laid in the tomb. It was dressed in large, black pieces of armor, the very same as the man had been wearing in her dream. Bane had been the one to visit her, which meant the woman must have been his apprentice, Darth Zannah. Why had they wanted her to visit this place? And why were there so many hints to the Sith here?

Inside the tomb, the source of the blue light seemed to be a small triangular box. It glowed faintly, and had many different inscriptions. She knew exactly what this object was.

A Sith Holocron.

It was being held by Bane's skeletal hands, and she was sure she had been sent to retrieve it. She reached down, placing a hand on the holocron. It was cold to the touch, but seemed alive somehow. It seemed to sense her energy, and the light flowed and seemed to move within it, like it was excited. When nothing happened, she picked the entire thing up, gently placing Bane's arms back at his sides. As she stepped back, the lid of the tomb began to slowly move back, and with a loud scraping noise, it closed entirely.

Ooh a holocron? I wonder what could be inside...