Chapter twenty one

"Can I ask you something?" I question Wes as we sit on the couch of the living room in his guest house.

"Hmm" he says, not looking at me so that his face is hidden.

"You are so emotionless all the time. Today was the first time I've ever seen you actually anything other bland or angry." I say. "No one is just like that for no reason. So what made you act like this?"

He groans and his hands go to his face that is hidden under his hood. "My mother died...that's what made me act like this."

I suck in a breath. "I'm so sorry"

He shrugs. "It happened a long time ago. I'm over it, you know. It is what it is and hopefully she is in a better place now."

I nod. "I guess you're right."

I want to ask him how she died but I wouldn't like it if someone was asking me about my dead mother so I'm not going to ask him that.

"If you are so over it then why do you still act like this?" I then ask instead

He is quiet for what seems like forever before he finally answers with, "I don't know..." He seems as if he really doesn't know, like he is in deep thought himself about the real answer.

"I guess I have just done some really...awful...things to people" he tells me. "Things that can't be forgiven no matter what. It has changed my whole life and because of that, people can't even look at me and just see me for who I am, I have to hide myself from the world because of my own wrong doings.

"How am I supposed to be happy when I can't even truly be happy with myslef?" He asks more himself than me. "It's impossible. It can never happen."

"What could you have done that is that bad?" I ask. "What did you do?"

He shakes his head. "You already know, you just don't get it yet...but you will."

"I don't understand" I reply, confused.

"You shouldn't right now so it's fine. But soon you will." He states. "I'm just afraid that you won't be able to be around me like others can't because of what you find out."

"Wes, nothing you tell me will ever make me change my mind about you." I assure him. "Nothing. You could tell me that you murdered someone and I would still treat you the same."

He stays quiet for a moment. "You say that now but you'll be singing a different tune when the times come."

"No I won't, Wes. I've made up my mind about you."

He stands up and turns out the light to the living room, leaving us in the pitch dark since it is dark outside and the tv sits turned off.

"What are you doing, Wes?" I ask when I realize that I can only see his silhouette and not his face, only a figure.

"Will you do me a favor, Macy?" His voice asks and I feel the couch dip in, telling me that he is sitting.

I blink a few times in shock at the situation. "What is it?"

"Close your eyes." He whispers making my breath get caught in my throat.