Chapter thirty four

"I have to go out" Trevor says to me, slipping on a white shirt over his khaki pants and polo shoes.

"Where?" I ask, fixing his hair

He eyes himself in the mirror. "I have to go see about where that guy is."

When I'm about to speak, he doesn't let me.

"No" he says. "I'm not killing him...today" he adds

I nod and drop my hands from his hair.

"Gabriel will be staying here with you" he tells me.

My eyebrows come together. "What? Now I can't handle myself? He doesn't need to stay here with me!"

He looks down at me. "He's staying here because I don't need you getting into anything you don't need to.

"This guy knows who I am. Therefore he knows that I am going to kill him" he tells me. "Let's say he wanted to kill me first. This will be the first place e comes to look for me."

Then something dawns on me.

"Wait" I begin. "Is this why I have been staying in your house and not the guest house? Because there may or may not be someone after you?"

He glances down at me and then back at himself in the mirror. "Yes"

"So it's not just because you like me and want me here. You feel like you have to keep me here."

My heart aces at the sudden realization

He rolls his eyes. "Oh please. If I didn't care about you then I sure as hell wouldn't care if you died or lived and I would just let you roam free. Consider yourself lucky."

"Fuck you" I snap, marching out of the room.

"Fuck me?!" He yells at me from his place in his room, not making a move to follow me.

"Yeah! Fuck you!" I yell back.

***************************

I sit with my arms crossed over my chest and an eyebrow raised a I stare at Gabriel who sits on the other couch straight across from my own.

He shifts uncomfortably under my gaze, switching positions often and playing with his hands, his eyes so desperately avoiding mine.

"Um" he finally speaks with a confident tone. "I know I'm hot but maybe you should consider not staring at me."

"Don't flatter yourself" I scoff. "I'm just trying to figure you out."

He chuckles and rests back against the back of the couch. "There's nothing to figure out. I wear everything on my sleeves."

"Sure you do" I laugh sarcastically. "What's the real reason you left to go stay with your mother?"

His eyes raise to look at me. "I don't know what you're talking about"

"Don't bullshit me, Gabriel." I retort. "People don't just leave their family to live with their real mom all of a fucking sudden. So what is it?"