Chapter twenty

I spot him standing next to his truck as everyone enters the school, rushing before they are late to their first class.

He has his body hunched forward as he brings the cigarette between his fingers to his lips from under his hood.

I just stand there and I'm about to open my mouth but he makes the first move

Wes throws his cigarette to the ground  without looking at me and then he fast walks towards me.

His arms instantly wrap around me, crushing me to his chest in an amazing way.

Tears stream down my face as I cry out, "I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry, Wes! I didn't mean it! I swear!"

His left hand presses against the back of my head as his right one stays on my back.

"I want to come back with you" I sob out. "I want to stay with you again. I can't go another day without talking to you! I-I need you! Wes-"

"Shhh" he whispers in my ear, shaking his head. "Don't say sorry, you don't have to. You don't have anything to be sorry for."

"Yes I do!" I protest. "I left and I didn't mean to hurt either of us but I realized as soon as I left that I shouldn't have, that I can't not be around you. Then I started partying again and I had sex with some guy I don't know and when it used to feel right, it felt so wrong.

"I don't even know if you want me back in your life. I would understand if you didn't. I just couldn't stand it-"

"Macy" he interrupts me. "Shut up. I gave you that key for a reason. That key and that note meant that you can come back whenever you want. I knew you would come back and that's why I gave you the key."

I nod against his chest.

"Now it's my turn to apologize." He states. "I'm sorry for being such a dick to you. I was awful and I didn't realize that I was until you left. It killed me to see you going on about your life and wearing a big smile and having fun as if I never existed-"

I shake my head. "I wasn't going on about my life, Wes. I've never worn a genuine smile anywhere or with anyone unless I'm with you." I tell him truthfully. "I wasn't hasn't having fun either, Wes."

He lets out a breath of relief. "This might sound really selfish but I'm glad it was all an act."

I laugh into his chest. "I just want things to go back the way they were. I shouldn't have ever left."

I lean back just a little to wipe the tears away from my face and get myself together.

"Dry your tears." He runs his fingers through my hair. "Everything is fine. Just...don't ever leave me again."

He says the last part hesitantly as if he is uncomfortable with saying it, it's out of his comfort zone clearly.

It makes me wonder if he has ever had to say that to anyone his whole life...if I'm the only girl he's ever felt this way with.

"I won't" I assure him, letting out a long breath.

"We'll go back to the guest house and just hang out there." He tells me. "I'm not up for school right now and I don't want you to embarrass yourself by walking in there looking like that."

I laugh. "Shut up. I can't look that bad."

"Ehhh" he says as if he's unsure of my statement. "You can."

I roll my eyes and pull away from him. "Let's just go before someone sees me."