46 - Graveyards

Maya's POV

*friday feb 16, 2013*

I get home from school and change into a pair of sweats. I feel horrible today. Not sick, depressed. I lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling.

"Maya! Supper is ready!" Dahlia calls from the main floor. I really don't feel like eating. I'm just gonna take a walk instead.

As I walk downstairs to go outside, Dahlia stops me. "Where are you going?"

"On a walk."

"Where?"

"I don't know. Just around. Does it matter?" I brush my hair out of my face.

"I made supper though Maya."

"I'm not hungry," I turn around and reach for the doorknob but Dahlia stops me.

"Maya! You have to eat, you didn't eat all day."

"Yeah! I'm still not hungry okay?!?"

"You're not going f-for a walk!" Dahlia stands her ground with her feet shoulder length apart, evidently trying to look like she's in control.

"Yes I am. I need to clear my mind! Stop telling me what to do!" I turn so that she can see me and I stare at her.

"YOU'RE NOT GOING!" She yells at me.

"WHY NOT DAHLIA? WHY THE HECK NOT???"

"BECAUSE I SAID SO! STOP ACTING LIKE YOURE THE ONLY PERSON WHO MATTERS! YOURE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO LOST THEIR PARENTS! YOURE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHOS BOYFRIEND AND BEST FRIENDS ARE GONE!!" Her words are like a punch to the heart, literally.

I push past her and start going upstairs, "You know Dahlia, I never thought you'd sink that low. You should know how it feels to be depressed. But you obviously don't care."

I throw a bunch of clothes into a bag. I pack whatever I'd need for the weekend and run back downstairs to see that Dahlia had gone into the kitchen. Using that as my opportunity to leave, I quickly run outside and catch the bus. I can't deal with anyone right now.

I stare blankly at the window, letting a few tears fall. The only person that I could call right now is Aaron. So I pick up my phone and call him.

He picks up after a few rings, "Hi Maya!"

"Hey... Um can I come over?"

"Y-yeah... What happened? Are you okay? Where are you?"

My crying turns into small sobs, "Dahlia wouldn't let me go on a walk and t-then basically said that I'm self-centred for feeling depressed because other people are experiencing it too... So I left. I'm on the bus right now."

"Okay, I'll give you my address."

I whisper, "Aaron I don't wanna go back."

He sighs, "Okay Maya. I'll meet you at the bus stop."

"Okay... Bye."

"Bye."

Almost instantly I receive a call from Luke. I deny it and text him, 'I can't deal with this right now!'

'What?'

'I'm done.' And then I turn off my phone completely so I don't get any texts or calls from anyone.
**********

Aaron is leaning again the pole near the bus stop waiting for me, "Staying awhile?" He smiles halfheartedly, noticing my bag. "I'm sure Dali wasn't trying to hurt you."

I wipe away my last tear, "I know. But I'm only staying if that's okay with you. I can call Aaliyah if you want me to."

"It's fine. My mom wanted to meet you anyway ." He smiles.