Chapter Three

"Dad, who's this?" Eadlyn asks, surprised by a stranger coming out of her father's office.

"Would you like to introduce yourself?" Maxon turns to me.

"I'm Elle Galloway," I extend my hand to her which she shakes curiously. Moments later, our greeting is cut off by a butler coming down the hall.

"Your Majesty, your Highness, she's awake," he announces breathlessly. Eadlyn and Maxon run down the hall to America's bedroom, and I follow closely behind. I've always wondered what it would be like to meet America, but for obvious reasons, I never thought I'd get the chance.

Maxon slowly opens the door to America's suite and walks in. Eadlyn follows him, and I walk in behind her, unaware if I should go in or not. When we enter, Maxon immediately embraces America as she sits up in her bed.

"Darling, you scared me," he finally breathes, "I thought I was going to lose you."

Aspen taps on the door and peeks his head in, "Are you up for a little company?" he asks.

"That would be nice" America replies weakly, "But only a few at a time." Aspen smiles and opens the door. Right as it opens, May, Marlee, Lucy, and America's mother, Magda, run into the room and shower America with hugs. I stand quietly in the corner and smile at the sight. Once they all file out, Osten and Kaden hug their mother and leave quickly. As Kaden walks out, we make eye contact and he gives me a small smile.

Once everyone has come in to see America, Maxon acknowledges me, "America, this is Elle Galloway."

She gives me a warm smile and welcomes me, "Hello, Elle, what can we help you with?"

"Actually, America," Maxon intervenes, "She's already spoken with me. Elle, why don't you tell her where you come from and what you have proposed to me."

I sit down on the edge of her bed and take a deep breath, "I'm from the year 2016," I say. On the outside, it looks like America takes the information in stride, but I know her too well. She definitely thinks I'm insane, and I'm starting to think the same thing.

I keep talking, "All I have is this bag full of books, but these aren't just any books." I pull out all the books from my bag and set them in front of America. She picks up The Selection and studies it curiously. Eadlyn sits on the other side of the bed across from me and picks up The Heir. "These books are your story," I say gesturing to America and Eadlyn, "The Selection, The Elite, and The One are your story from your point of view. The Heir and The Crown, however, are from Eadlyn's point of view. The Heir starts right before Eadlyn's selection and ended just yesterday. The Crown is the future, but I think we can all agree we shouldn't mess with that too much."

Once I finish, I take a breath and look over at America. She's staring and her three books and contemplating what to say. Finally, she speaks up. "Exactly how much is in these books?" she asks.

"It starts a few weeks before the selection and ends when Maxon proposed to you," I inform.

"She's not joking. She read me some of it," Maxon laughs.

"But how is this even possible?" America questions, "These were written hundreds of years ago."

"I have no idea," I answer. There was a short pause before Maxon answered.

"Elle said that when she first woke up here, she was in Angeles with the author of the book, and she has the address to find her. We could go get her and bring her here," he explains, but doesn't tell her about Celeste and Amberly. We make eye contact with him and I know why. America looks like a wreck. He doesn't want to trouble her with something like that while her physical state is so precarious.

"That's a great idea, when do you think she can be here?" America asks.

"We have plans to have her here tomorrow," he answers, "Now you need to rest, darling."

"Alright," she sighs. As I gather my books and get up to go, America beckons me toward her.

"Yes Amer- um, your Majesty?" I correct myself.

"May I read them?" she asks, a sparkle of curiosity in her eyes.

I think for a moment. "What if I read them to you?" I reply. It seems like a good opportunity to get to know America, and figure out why she made so many stupid decisions during her selection.

"I'd like that," she smiles, "I've forgotten too much. It seems like it was lifetimes ago."

"Of course," I whisper. As I leave, I remember I'm in the presence of a queen, so I turn around, give the most graceful curtsy I can muster, and shut the door quietly behind me.