Meggy

A/N: Best thoughts going out to Nurse_Ratchet, currently in the hospital for some major pain. She's a trooper and I'm hoping to have her back on wattpad soon.

    By the time I’d collected myself enough to leave the bathroom, it had been nearly three hours. I knew that at this time, Angela and Daniel must have gone to the airport to pick up the girls Daniel had wanted for the movie. I still hadn’t met them. I wasn’t sure how to feel about that. But it was high time for me to pull together and be the woman everyone expected me to be.

    Without any further thought, I pushed the emotional weight away. Well, not really away, away, I knew it’d hit me again at some point, but I wouldn’t let it be today. I had to get over it. I had to do something besides freak out.

~First-Person Narration: Angela~

    I was, unfortunately, stuck with Daniel on this little trip to the airport, but I seemed to be one of few people capable of keeping him in line. And awake. If the man would stop getting one or two hours of sleep some nights, it would definitely help. I’d seen him fall asleep standing up, sometimes even walking. And if he was walking, it wasn’t pretty. He would up face-first on the pavement. At least when standing, he had a fair chance of staying upright.

    And the sunglasses he wore, designer, of course, told me that he’d been deprived of sleep again last night. When he was tired, he always tried to hide it. It didn’t work too well anymore.

    But I didn’t have time to dwell on it, while I was trying to figure out whether Daniel was asleep already or not, the plane we’d been waiting for had landed, and a very odd, very loud girl caught my attention.

???: "HELLOOOOOO CALI!!!"

    She squealed, skipping along inside the airport. In her white capris, rainbow-colored ruffle tank and high-wedge paint-splattered sandals she looked like someone had dumped about fifty neon paint cans on her clothes. Even her sunglasses looked like someone had taken a bedazzler to them. What an odd, colorful girl. Another girl nearby was dressed in different shades of purple and yet another in perfectly coordinated silver, white and black.

???: "Chill Yisty!"

The one in purple called after her. Two small, dark-skinned children ran by, whooping and cheering.

???: "Kids!"

A man called after them, hauling a few suitcases along with who I assumed to be his wife.

???: "Stick together!"

    It took only a second for me to identify her. Emery. Emery Johnes. A techno-organic and wonderful person. It looked like she had grown into quite the woman. I smiled at the thought. Standing here in a favorably tailored white sundress, I wondered if she’d recognize me. I hoped the color was a tip-off. We may have gotten off to a rocky start, but near the end of our adventures, we could be quite the team.

    I was sure their attention would drift to us, but I hadn’t even realized I was zoning out a little. Emery. It was really Emery. I was imagining what kind of comments the old Emery would make about Daniel and his eccentric outfit. A blue suit accented by an underlying red shirt and tie. Heh. Oh the insults that would have come out of her mouth.

    It took me a moment to remember that if these were our girls, they’d need some kind of way to know that we were their destination. I immediately turned to Daniel.

Angela: “Daniel, we need the sign out.”

Daniel: “Then why don’t you get it?”

    I rolled my eyes. Of course he’d be difficult. Why wouldn’t he be? I gestured to the poster board again.