Inspiration

I just wanted to get away . . . Wanted to be alone . . . So I sat at the cafe . . . The Quaint Cafe . . . Jimmy never said no. Even when Akane or one of the others was absent. I sighed, cradling my head in my hands. I hated all of this so much. Everything was just . . . Miserable. I let out a low sigh, staring up as the light began fading from the sky.

~General Narration: Orion~

    He sat alone, staring out the window of the condo. He roughed a hand through his short black hair. Why wouldn’t the words come to him? Why wouldn’t inspiration strike as it had before? He wanted to send that letter soon. He had to. The sooner he got it out, the sooner he could meet with her . . . and that could end up changing absolutely everything about how the world was now . . .

    At least, it would change how the world was for him . . . He could imagine her as he closed his stark blue eyes . . . The auburn waves, a gorgeous shade to him . . . A deep red, seemingly stuck somewhere between a chocolate brown and a vivid, perfectly ripe strawberry red . . . Her eyes glittered like emeralds freshly mined from the Earth and yet absolutely perfect in themselves . . .

    He could hear her laugh echo around him like silk . . . He could see her smile spread across those lips . . . a subtle shade of pink spreading as they lifted at the corners, creasing her skin ever-so-slightly . . .

    He breathed slowly, the vision taunting him . . . He opened his eyes reluctantly, still seeing nothing but the city below him. No magic words. No wondrous location. He let out a small sigh, staring at the lights that lit up ground below and left a small imprint on the horizon. The same lights that drowned out the stars every night. He wanted to go somewhere that he could see them . . .

    Surely the ranch would have a good view . . . He smiled. The ranch. Becky’s ranch. The one Orion had visited not too long ago. He taught the girls a whistle that made their horse-like dog, Grief, bound over at a moment’s notice. He’d learned it while training his own dog, a Bernese Mountain Dog, that had showed up at his door as a pup. Well, outside the door of the building. He’d tried to find it’s owner, but to no avail.

    Harley currently laid at the other end of the room, eyes open, but otherwise looking like he could’ve been asleep. Now, Harley was fully grown and incredibly strong. Orion always made sure that Harley had someone around when he was gone, having him walked, fed and cared for in general. The dog had his own room for fetch if the weather didn’t permit him going outside. It had been an office, but since he lived alone, Orion had simply moved his things out to the living room.

    Most of the time, indoor ‘fetch’ involved bouncing a tennis ball past Harley from the floor to the wall, and seeing if the large dog could jump and intercept before the ball’s path led it back to Orion. He smiled at the thought . . . Harley was a good dog . . . Very loyal . . .

    Before he knew it, a large, furry head was under his hand. Harley was sitting at Orion’s side, tennis ball in his mouth, glancing up at his owner expectantly. Orion smiled a little more.

Orion: “All right, Boy, all right.”

    Harley’s tail swished against the carpet at the words, his ears perking slightly. Orion sighed, crouching down to the dog’s level.

Orion: “I don’t suppose you know where I can meet with Jasmine, huh?”

    The dog’s eyes softened in what Orion would’ve sworn was apology if he didn’t want to be looked at as a lunatic. He sighed, taking the ball from Harley’s mouth and striding into the small, empty room. Harley crouched, haunches raised, tail wagging in anticipation. Orion laughed softly.