Dreams

• Dedicated to All the innocent lives lost on September 11, 2001. Gone but not forgotten.

Akane: "Miss Brookes. Who are they?"

He asked, looking at the trio.

Jasmine: "They're the new hires, Dearest, the ones Daniel was raving about? Anywho, there's some riff-raff outside and they must get back to their hotel. You know how it is."

He nodded.

Akane: "Jackson and George will accompany them."

He said very matter-of-factly and gently led me out of the cafe. I nodded at Jimmy briefly, and he nodded back, knowing I was safe again. Even better: I knew the girls would be safe with George and Jackson.

I had bodyguards for a reason, and if I trusted these boys with my life, I knew they could be trusted with that of the girls.

Of course, the car ride home was a tad bit . . .  awkward. Akane was a bit more quiet than usual, and it drove me absolutely crazy. I knew he was upset, though he’d never let on, when he was this quiet.

And, well, I couldn’t really blame him. In the spread of a day, I’d driven off and hadn’t returned home for who knew how long, sleeping in my car on the side of the road (bad idea), freaked out on him, gone nuts on the punching bag, taken off without him AGAIN, and called him with the information of another possible assailant being nearby . . . oh yeah. I could DEFINITELY understand his being upset.

That didn’t mean I was fond of it, but I understood.

I stared out the window, feeling very much like a teenage girl who’d been caught out past curfew by her father. Which was absolutely ridiculous because Akane wasn’t that much older than me.

Actually, I’d been sixteen when I’d woken up. At least, that was the best I could figure. My last memories were in my early days of being sixteen. I felt aged beyond that, but I guessed it was just the stress of being kidnapped by giant robots that pushed me to that.

I sighed, feeling the car pull to a stop in the driveway. Yes, Akane had been forced to take my car to get me. It was ridiculous, and I wasn’t fond of anyone else driving her.

Oh well. I got out, heading inside, exhausted. Maybe a little rest would help . . . I tensed for a moment. That was unlikely considering recent events.

~General Narration: Orion~

    He stared at the television, watching the interview for what had to have been at least the twentieth time now. He was desperate for contact with her. If only she knew of him, certainly she’d be drawn to him as well. Right?

    He didn’t know what he’d do if she knew and wanted nothing to do with him.

    He ached thinking she wouldn’t want him. That she didn’t want him. But how could she want him if she didn’t even know he existed?

    Jason had mentioned before a mental illness where people fall in love with celebrities and fantasize that the celebrities love them back . . . this wasn’t something as delusional as that, was it . . . ?

    He certainly hoped not. He felt a deeper connection with this woman, even if she had no idea who he was, even if they’d never met.

    He sighed. It was such a bittersweet emotion to look at her. All at once it made him feel loved and lonely.

    “It’s not healthy,” Jason had said time and again, but Orion didn’t care. He wanted nothing more than to meet her in person, to have her near. He was certain if he could just TALK to her, she’d feel what he felt and they’d be all right.

    He sighed again, watching her walk off the set, a soft smile on her pink lips.

Orion: “What a beautiful maiden . . .”