. . . Yet So Far

Angela smiled, glancing back at Jasmine. Daniel and Ariel looked fairly confused but were able to piece things together from the exclamations of Sunny and Jasmine's head guard.  Akane opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off quickly.

Becky: "Akane, say ONE word, 'an ah'll make sure Gran'ma knows ya didn't eat none 'a 'er relish!"

He shut his mouth, blushing, and looked away. Jasmine offered Becky a small, thankful smile.

Jasmine: "Maybe  I should bring you to live with us full-time . . ."

Becky laughed.

Becky: "Nah, don' worray."

Her voice dropped down to a whisper.

Becky: "Ah got a load 'a dirt on everyone 'ere . . ."

Ariel glanced at her curiously.

Ariel: "Is that so?"

Becky: "Oh, ya live it, ya learn it, ya love it."

She shrugged with a smile.

Becky: "Though-."

Sunny: "So as I was saying, Becky goes RUNNING when the swan chases her-."

Becky: "Ah alreaday git tortured 'nuff. 'An most 'a these storays 'appened when ah was in high school!"

Becky: "I thought this happened last week."

Sunny looked at Becky innocently enough. Ariel smiled, and Angela tried to keep her eyes on the woods, or else she'd have them glued on the pair behind her.

Angela: "Got some angry swans around here, then?"

The blonde woman asked, watching warily as though the things might attack at any second.

Sunny: "A couple in the pond! Terror 'an Discord! Becky named 'em!"

Becky's face was as red as her hair. Ariel laughed softly.

Ariel: "That's what I'd name them, too, if I got attacked by those vicious beasts."

Suddenly, Becky held up her hand.

Becky: "Whoa!"

She pulled the reins, stopping her horse. Sunny gasped.

Sunny: "Lookit! A rattlesnake!"

Daniel shrieked briefly before Ariel slapped a hand over his mouth.

Ariel: "Would you stop being such a girl? You are perfectly fine, you pansy!"

He made a muffled protest that couldn't be understood anyway through her block, but his eyes stayed wide. Jasmine rolled her eyes at his exaggeration.

Orion: "And you say he's a good guy? Seems like a wuss to me . . ."

Orion mumbled, and Jasmine shot him a small glare, doing her best not to smile, but hardly succeeded as the corners of her lips rose.

Jasmine: "Wusses can be good guys, too."

She retorted, unable to resist the urge of picking on her dear friend. He was sweet, and she owed him a lot, but, well, he was kind of asking for it. The snake watched them with beady eyes, so close they could see the diamond-pattern back. He gave a few shakes with his tail, then turned and slithered off.

Becky: "See? Tha' makes 'bout 'th fifteenth we've seen on these trails."

Ariel removed her hand slowly, and Daniel screamed.

Daniel:  "I could have been killed!"

The blue haired woman sighed, slapping a hand to her forehead.