Two Steps Forward, One Step Back (Best Is Yet To Come)

Jasmine held Scarlett close, Ashton firmly in Orion’s arms, the couple standing close together. “I don’t want to leave them, Optimus . . . They’re our babies . . .”

He nodded, kissing her temple gently. “It’ll be all right, Maiden. We’re not leaving. Not truly. It’s just a change of pace. We’ll still be with them constantly. We’ll just be better equipped to protect them from larger threats that come our way. This is our choice. And it’ll be one we won’t regret, I promise you that.”

Slowly, she gave a nod in return. “I love you two . . . Mommy and Daddy will be back in a few minutes, okay?” Scarlett shifted gently, cuddling closer to her mother’s warmth. “Are you hungry, Baby?” Jasmine questioned, stroking Scarlett’s back gently, but the babe seemed to be half asleep more than anything. With a sigh, Jasmine kissed Scarlett’s forehead, then leaned over and planted one on Ashton’s.

Optimus kissed gently against her hairline, draping an arm around Jasmine’s shoulder. “Feed them again before we change. It won’t feel any different after the shift, but I know it’ll seem like it. Go ahead. Ratchet can wait a few minutes longer.” Gently, he shifted Ashton’s weight, handing the second of the twins to their mother, aiding her balance as she sat down on the concrete bench inside the base. “Do you require further assistance?”

After a moment’s thought, Jasmine blushed and shifted her weight and the babies in her arms. “I um, maybe . . . I mean, I just, busy hands . . .”

Optimus smiled and embraced her from behind for a moment, kissing behind her ear. “That’s all right, Maiden. It’s perfectly all right to still be getting used to all this. It’s not easy to have twins when you only have two hands.” Carefully, the human-esque Prime shifted Jasmine’s clothing until she was bare for feeding the children. She didn’t hesitate to cover herself back up as much she could, shifting her weight and the babies cautiously. Orion smiled as he watched them, kissing her cheek gently.

“What?” She questioned, a flush present on her heated cheeks.

With a chuckle, he draped an arm around her shoulder. “I just adore how you behave so with the children . . . A first-time mother . . . Even though we are alone, you’re still humble . . . Embarrassed, even, about feeding them, even though I think it is one of the most marvelous things you’ve done as of yet. It’s a beautiful, natural thing, Maiden . . . And I adore it . . . Every moment I spend with you, every second I witness you caring for our children, every time I see you bare for their nutrition or for our intimacy . . . I love you more each and every time . . . That will never change. I adore every inch of you, no matter what comes our way, we will have each other. I could never place a price on that. It’s far too valuable.”

“I love you so much, Optimus Prime . . . I can’t ever forget you or what we’ve been through. You’re everything to me some days. I’d say all days, but now we have them, as well . . . And I just . . . It’s hard to say you’re my everything when we have two amazing children that we’ll be raising and loving with our every ounce of spark . . .”

He smiled, squeezing her gently, kissing her forehead, down to the bridge of her nose. “That we do . . . But I think my spark grew to accommodate all the love I now carry for you. All of you, My Fair Maiden.”

A small, nervous smile crossed her lips. “We love you, too, My Sweet Knight.” She began rocking gently, savoring every second of contact with the twins, some irrational part of her scared that once they made the transition, it wouldn’t be the same, even though she knew holoforms were extensions of Cybertronians. She knew that whatever the holoform felt, the true form felt, and it was really more like having two bodies than being separated. A part of her spark would remain in this form as well. It just made her antsy to think that something would go wrong and she’d be stranded without her babies, their babies, and that she wouldn’t be able to care for them the way she wanted to. The way she should.