Princess

~~~

    Jade sighed, watching the sun come up through an opened Gate in the UP. She could see their mother’s bedroom, and she was scurrying around the space, passing in front of the windows every so often. Blaze was at her back, facing the opposite way, another Gate to the UP open, providing him a perfect view of their father’s bedroom, in the large condo at the top of a skyscraper in town. He was still fast asleep.

Jade: “Dad’s a fool, Blaze. He never gave Mom a time frame to actually be at the cafe. And now she’s rushing around at sunrise and he’s . . .”

    She glanced over her shoulder and past Blaze to the inactive bedroom of their father.

Jade: “Sleeping . . .”

    She mumbled, shaking her head in disapproval. She loved both her parents but didn’t approve of his carelessness today. Blaze shrugged, keeping his eyes forward.

Blaze: “His alarm clock failed.”

    He told her simply, keeping an eye on their father’s figure, the pair like sentinels.

Jade: “Well maybe he should’ve set another one!”

    She snapped, gripping her knees. She was trying to focus on her mother, who’d now vanished, probably into the bathroom. Blaze frowned, turning to her, placing a hand on her shoulder carefully.

Blaze: “Jade . . . ?”

Jade: “SHUT UP!”

    She pulled away from him, trying to get a grip on herself again. She was the daughter of a Prime. She would not behave this way. She was better than this. She took a shuddering breath, closing her eyes tightly.

    Blaze frowned, watching her. He brushed a few hairs behind her ear, and she didn’t fight it. She didn’t move, other than to lower her head. Her lips wavered, a few tears streaking down to her nose, falling into the black. She sobbed quietly, hating herself for not being stronger. Years of practice had taught her how to block her emotions from her twin. Otherwise he would’ve known long ago why she was upset this morning.

    He edged closer to sit next to her, draping an arm around her carefully. He kissed her temple. Moments like these were when the traits of his creator came through. When he aged beyond his years and he became very considerate. Like both his parents, really . . . At least, in stressed situations . . .

Blaze: “It’s okay, Jade . . . It’s okay . . . What’s wrong . . . ?”

    She sobbed heavily, pulling her knees up to her chest, hair falling back over her face.

Jade: “H-He . . . He found a-another . . . l-little girl . . . to love . . . H-He called her Princess and e-everything! He doesn’t n-need me anym-more, Blaze!”

    Her brother sighed, pulling her tight as her body shook, their adolescent forms prominant at the moment. He didn’t know what to do other than tell her the truth and hold her. He was her brother. And while they could manipulate the Plane to the best of their ability, they were no experts.

Blaze: “He doesn’t need you . . . He never did, Jade . . . He just wanted you . . . He wanted both of us . . . A little girl isn’t going to change that . . . He’ll always love you  . . . You’re his daughter . . . You’re not going to be replaced . . .”

    She just sobbed harder, trembling against him. Afraid her father, their father, really would replace her like an old pair of socks. Blaze vented lightly, not sure what he could do anymore. He took a deep breath, closing his eyes and focusing as much as he could.