Night To Day (Falling)

~General Narration~

    Jasmine laughed, shoes in her hands, running down the street with Orion, back the way they came as the downpour began. They’d been inside a store filled with paintings and caricatures when the clouds had closed in. The sky was nearly black now, the raindrops large and heavy, coating the sidewalks and roads in a matter of moments.

    He smiled. It had taken a few minutes of jogging before they finally got back to the cafe, and his truck on the other side of the street. He reached into his pocket, unlocking the large vehicle quickly, jumping into the cab safely, Jasmine at his side, still laughing, both of them drenched.

Jasmine: “I feel like we just had another water war at Becky’s ranch . . .”

    She shot him a quick glare, but any animosity was killed by the grin on her face. Orion chuckled, planting a quick kiss on her cheek. She just laughed at him, shaking her head. He smiled wistfully, sighing.

Orion: “And where should I be taking you to go home, Jasmine . . . ?”

    Her breath hitched, and she shook her head again.

Jasmine: “If I go home, Akane’s going to rip me a new one like there’s no tomorrow . . .”

    He smiled sadly as she pulled on her seat belt.

Orion: “Well . . . Where should you be going then . . . ?”

    She smiled sheepishly, looking at him.

Jasmine: “Could I spend tonight with you . . . ? Just tonight . . . I’ll go home tomorrow . . . I just  . . . want today to be . . . perfect . . .”

    He smiled warmly, nodding, starting the truck and pulling away from the curb.

Orion: “As you wish, Maiden.”

    She laughed softly at the nickname, nodding, patting a hand on his shoulder.

Jasmine: “Thank you, you sweet gentleman . . .”

    His smile just grew as they drove through the rain back across town. It was mostly quiet except for the quiet sounds of the radio and the rain crashing against the truck. A few flashes lit up the sky, followed by the rumbling of thunder above their heads. Orion was attentive as ever, watching the road as he drove back the way he came. Jasmine stared out the window, watching the sky intently.

Jasmine: “Em . . .”

    She whispered quietly, entranced with the rolling thunder and cracks of lightning, not even paying attention to anything else. She didn’t know where the word came from, or what it meant, but it made her feel better to acknowledge it.

Orion: “What was that, Jasmine . . . ?”

    He asked gently, and she turned her head to look at him, smiling.

Jasmine: “Sorry . . . I guess I’m a little out of it.”

    He laughed softly, nodding briefly.

Orion: “All right, Jasmine . . . Well, I serenaded you, are you going to return the favor at some point . . . ?”

    She laughed at him, watching his expression carefully.

Jasmine: “Do you want me to return the favor . . . ?”

    He smiled, shrugging, and she turned her attention back to the window, watching the storm unfold above them.

Jasmine: “Maybe I’ll get to it . . . Eventually . . .”

Orion: “If you’d be so gracious, Miss Brookes . . .”