Woods

Y/N's POV

"I haven't seen Aphmau anywhere yet," Laurence says with uncertainty. Him and I have been walking around the neighborhood, hands connected and bodies close so we appear to be affiliated romantically. Surprisingly, it hasn't been awkward since Laurence makes good conversation. We've talked about our interests, and it turns out that we have a lot in common.

"Yeah, me neither," I reply, looking around, but there's no one in sight. "Should we go back and tell Garroth we were unsuccessful?" Laurence glances over at me and smiles,

"Just a few more minutes?" he begs. I sigh, shrugging reluctantly.

"Fine, but I'd really like to get back to unpacking soon," I tell him, pulling out my phone with my free hand. There's a few notifications, one of which is a text from Dante asking if I need any help moving furniture in my house. I don't notice my lips curve to a slight smile.

"So, who is your crush?" Laurence asks, abruptly interrupting my thoughts. I give him a frustrated look, shaking my head.

"I already told you I don't have one," I grumble.

"No one has caught your interest at all?" he pries, raising an eyebrow as he looks at Dante and I's text conversation on my phone. Glaring at him, I shut my phone off and put it back in my pocket.

"No. I am not interested in anyone," I am about to continue denying Laurence's questions until I  notice Aphmau walking towards us with Gene, both holding multiple plastic bags. Without hesitation, I take his arm with both of my hands and smile up at him. "No one except you! You're so cute!" I draw out all of my words, blinking my eyelashes dramatically. Laurence gives me a confused look, then gasps as he realizes what I'm doing. He puts his arm around me, which causes my body to tense.

"Am I?" he gloats, giving me a smirk.

"Y/N," I hear Gene say my name, and I feel my stomach drop.

"Laurence?" Aphmau questions as she approaches us. "I didn't know you and Y/N were so close!" As if impaired by his nerves, Laurence says nothing, looking at Gene, then back at Aphmau. I cut in,

"We just decided to hang out to get to know each other better. What are you and Gene up to?"

"Sounds fun! Gene just helped me buy some groceries," Aphmau smiles, although I can tell she suspects there is something more going on. Gene crosses his arms, giving Laurence a smirk,

"I see, well I was hoping to hang with Y/N today after I walked Aphmau home." Gene holds out the bags he is holding to Laurence. "Want to take her the rest of the way?" I look at Laurence and nod to him, so he grabs the bags from Gene's hands, giving Aphmau a sincere smile.

"I would love to," he replies, mouthing 'thank you' to me before walking down the sidewalk with Aphmau. I turn to face Gene, placing my hands on my hips.

"So, you wanted to hang out with me?" I smirk. Gene snickers, taking a step towards me and places both hands on my arms.

"I would've texted you, but I don't see to have your number," he replies, shrugging. "Just come with me. Zenix and I want to show you something." My heart skips a beat at the sound of his name and I clutch my chest softly with confusion. Thankfully, Gene isn't paying attention as he turns around and begins to walk in the opposite direction.

"Zenix?"

"He's already there, just follow me." Deciding to trust Gene, I walk with him down the sidewalk towards the unfamiliar end of the neighborhood. He asks me to tell him about myself, which surprises me, but I tell him about my hobbies and interests. When I try to convince him to do the same, he brushes it off by expressing that he's not as interesting as me. I don't buy it, but I decide not to pry. Gene's mysteriousness is intriguing, but I don't want to rush a friendship with him too fast. Eventually, we reach a cul-de-sac with a wood beyond the pavement of the road.