Home

Y/N POV's

The bus shakes with a gentle rhythm as I stare at my phone, scrolling aimlessly on social media. On my feed, a picture of Travis, my brother, and his roommates posing in front of their house catches my eye. I'll be able to see that house for myself soon; the thought makes my heart flutter. I had been living in an apartment by myself in the city for a while, falling into the monotony of a routine until my brother told me about the new neighborhood he moved into in the suburbs. It was a bold decision, but I realized I needed a change of scenery. When we'd call, Travis would rave on the phone to me about the nice people that live in the neighborhood, which made me excited to make some new friends. My cat, P/N, meows loudly in their carrier as if to tell me that I already have a friend, and I pat the top of the cage lovingly. P/N has been by my side ever since I moved to the city to make a name for myself. Hopefully they'll like our new house.

I continue to look at Travis' post, finding myself browsing the profiles of the guys tagged in his photo. Shaking my head, I realize I'm practically stalking them, but it can't be that weird, right? Soon, they'll be my neighbors and I'll be in those photos smiling wide with a brand new group of friends. I haven't had a friend group since high school-- I block those memories out of my mind. It would be best if I left the past in the past.

The bus jerks to a stop and I gasp, almost dropping my phone. Looking out the window, I smile wide and feel my cheeks warm.

I'm home.

I shove my phone into my back pocket and grab the handle to P/N's carrier as I stand up, not even waiting for the bus driver to announce our location, and rush to the door right as it opens. Directly outside is Travis, waiting for me with his arms out wide. I stumble down the stairs and fall into his chest, laughing with him as he twirls me around in a tight embrace. P/N meows with discomfort in their carrier, so Travis stops spinning.

"Travis!" I exclaim through my laughter. He eventually releases the hug so I may stand on my feet, placing his hands tightly on my shoulders,

"I missed you, Y/N! It's been so long!"

"I missed you too! I have so much to talk to you about!" I say ecstatically. A voice behind me clears their throat, and I realize we're blocking the exit to the bus. Travis waves at the people waiting to get off the bus, then leads me out of the way and down the sidewalk.

"Let's get you to your house first," Travis suggests, winking. I nod in agreement. As we walk through the neighborhood, my brother points at the various  homes and lists their residents to me. I try to remember all of the names at first, but soon, I lose track. Travis notices my furrowed brow and pats me on the back, giving me a confident grin, "Everything's going to be great, you'll get to know everyone in no time!" I smile back, sighing as I relax my tense shoulders. Eventually, Travis stops in his tracks, pointing straight ahead at a house in the distance. "Look familiar?" he asks.

"That's... that's my new house!" I reply with excitement. I notice the moving van hasn't showed up yet, which worries me a bit, but I try not to let it bring my good mood down. P/N jumps around in their carrier and Travis kneels to coo them.

"Awww, aren't you a good kitty?!" He gets back up after P/N replies with a meow. "Shall we?" Travis takes my hand and pulls me forward. I run with him towards my new home.