Double

I ran, I choked, I escaped several times, but at the end, they were always finding me. I couldn't hide anywhere. They were chasing me. I was their prey, I couldn't really escape them. I didn't know where to go. I didn't have a safe place anymore. I didn't know how I hadn't before, but I fell for the first time and my head hit the ground. When I stood back up, I realized that it was actually grass, though it was dark. Every thing that should have colors was either grey or black. I looked around and saw trees all over me, without leaves, their bark stripped off. I frowned as I felt something warm pouring out of my nose. I brought my hand to it and suddenly I saw a color. Red. Flash red. My nose was bleeding. I tried to cover my nose with my hands to stop it but soon enough I had blood all over them, my face and my shirt. A laugh resonated in the forest and I remembered what I was previously doing : running. As I took a step, my foot stayed stuck on the ground. No, no, no, I needed to run away, I needed it.

"You've been running away for too long, Clary." The voice was so familiar but I couldn't remember why. "I want to live, too." All of sudden, an outline appeared a few meters away and my heart raced. I wanted to run but I was paralyzed. The more they were walking closer to me, the more they were being familiar to me. It stopped right in front of me and I opened my eyes wide at their sight. A girl, but not a random girl."Why are you so shocked ? Didn't you think it could be me ?" I slowly shook my head. "You recognize my voice, right ?" I shook my head again. I knew it from somewhere, but I couldn't remember it clearly. "What if I say 'you should've died that day', does it refresh your memory ?"

"Y-y-you..."

"Finally ! Took some time, uh." She rolled her eyes.

"You were just a voice..."

"I was never just a voice !" She shouted at me. "I was never just a voice..." She mumbled again. "I'm just another you. A better you. I mean, look at you, you're so pathetic."

"Please, stop... You were gone..." I begged. Tears were running down my skin and she took my chin in her hand, her long nails hurting my skin.

"Gone ?" She laughed. "Oh dear, I'll be here forever. I'm a part of you. I'm you." She moved away and walked around me, her fingers retracing the shape of my head. She was now behind me and I couldn't see her, just feel her. I swallowed hard and tried to contain my tears. She wasn't me, she was just an imagination, an illusion. She's just an illusion. "You've got everything, you've got life, you've got him, you've got friends and I'm stuck here in your messy head, listening to you thoughts all day. I'm done with it." Her voice was harsh. "This is my turn now ! I want to live !" She screamed and suddenly, I felt an extreme pain in my chest. I arched my back but it didn't go away. I couldn't breath. All my attempts failed. "I got your heart, baby. I won." She literally had my heart. She had penetrated my back and her finger were around my heart, crushing it. I would've begged her to stop if I could've spoken. I've never felt something that hurt as much as it was hurting me. "My turn to live now." The next second, my heart was ripped off my chest.

***

"Clary ? Why are you still here ? You're going to be late !" My dad said as I rushed in the kitchen to grab something to eat.

"Thanks dad, I didn't know..." I mumbled. "I didn't hear my alarm and now I'm late, can you drive me to school, please ?" If I was late today, my teacher was going to ripped off my eyes or something. It was the first time in ages that I didn't hear my alarm and I didn't know why. Usually, it woke me up immediately. Weird.

"Sure." We went out of the kitchen and he quickly put some random shoes on. He was still in his pajamas, but we were just taking the car anyway, not going to some kind of diner. We had exactly ten minutes to go there. It was alright, but I would have never been in time if he couldn't have taken me by car. "You okay ?"