t w e l v e

Someone Like You: Paralyzed

When I got off the elevator the next morning, I was unusually excited for my day with Luke. I walked to his room to meet him, while my mind was racing with all of the possible things he could want to do for his birthday. He said he wanted to do the typical tourist stuff that he hadn't had a chance to do before, but this city was full of tourist attractions, and which ones he was interested in were a mystery to me.

I checked my outfit one last time before knocking on hotel room door. Even though my top was black, I was hoping the fabric would be thin enough to keep me cool in the July sun. I didn't know how much walking around we would be doing, but I tried to dress the role of the rockstar girlfriend while staying comfortable by wearing denim cutoffs and some black converse. When I looked up what rocker girlfriend's usually wore on Pinterest, all I could conclude was that they wore sunglasses when they were out with their boyfriends, so I decided to bring my black aviators to help myself look the part. It wasn't the most punk-rock outfit out there, but I figured it was the best I could do apart from my usual girly beach bum attire.

I knocked on Luke's door, much more confidently than I had yesterday. Luke opened the door a moment later and rubbed his eyes, clearly having just woken up. His hair was a mess and he was wearing nothing more than a wrinkled pair of boxers.

"Sorry, were you sleeping?" I asked politely, despite already knowing the answer based on his appearance alone. Luke took a moment to let his eyes adjust to the light in the hallway and let out a soft groaning sound while he squinted in the light. He managed a half-smile at me and opened the door all the way for me to come inside.

"I'm awake now." Luke said, his voice raspy from having used it for the first time today. "What time is it?" He asked once he's closed the door behind me.

"It's eight o'clock," I answered, which caused him to groan and fall back onto the messy bed.

"You're killing me, Lennie." He mumbled with his eyes shut. I shook my head at him in amusement, realizing I should have known he would want to sleep in later.

"Come on, birthday boy. It's time to get up." I walked over to where the light switch was and flicked it up so that the you could see inside the formerly dark hotel room. When I walked back over to Luke, he sat up and eyed me curiously.

"Are you wearing that outfit for me?" Luke said with an amused expression.

"What do you mean?" I looked down at my clothes in confusion. "If we're spending all day out and about, I want to look like a rockstar's girlfriend. I don't really know what that looks like, so I just went with black to be on the safe side." Luke's smile grew as he shook his head. Clearly, I was missing the point of what he was saying.

"You definitely look the part." He told me while giving me a deliberate once over. I twirled a lock of hair around my finger out of nervous habit. "Don't worry Lennie, you look hot. Just don't get mad at me for staring because with those shorts, I can't make any promises."

Luke stood from the bed and dug some clothes out of his suitcase. I rolled my eyes at his comment, secretly flattered that he liked my outfit for the day. I never put much thought into what I wore when I was back home, I tended to wear crop tops and cutoffs everyday in the summer because it was so hot at the beach. I guess it was less common place outside of my tiny beach town, but I was used to dressing in little clothing for the sake of not overheating.

"Hurry up and get dressed so we can get going!" I waved my hands at him to get him to go move faster. Luke tossed his tank top over his head and began to reach for the waistband of his underwear, but stopped short when he noticed me watching.