s i x t y

"Eleanor!" Beth yells from the living room. "Can we watch a movie together?"

"Sure, you pick!" I yell back to her as I walk out of my bedroom. "Just nothing-"

"-with too much violence, I know." Eleanor finished my sentence and grins over at me while I stick my tongue out at her. She always finishes my sentences for me when she's anticipating them, but it's extremely annoying all the same.

"I'll make some popcorn." I rip the plastic bag open before Beth can even tell me if she wants some, but right now I might just eat the whole bowl by myself. Beth has Ferris Bueller's Day Off up on the TV by the time I sit down on the floor next to her with the bowl of popcorn situated in my lap.

"Someone's hungry," Beth laughs as I lift a large handful of popcorn to my mouth. "Since when do you snack during the day? You eat like a rabbit."

"I saw the popcorn and it looked really good," I tell her absentmindedly. The moment that Ferris starts talking on the screen, my attention is fixated on the movie.

That is, until my phone buzzes on the couch behind me with a text from Calum. Ever since we got back from our trip, we've both been too busy to sneak off with each other, so our secret relationship has only consisted of texting and calls for the past three weeks.

I know we've only just started the movie, but this is the perfect chance to see Calum without having to worry about getting busted together

I know we've only just started the movie, but this is the perfect chance to see Calum without having to worry about getting busted together. I just have to somehow convince Beth to ditch the movie and come along, even though I know she hates hanging out in big groups.

"Beth," I say quietly, "can we pretty please go hang out with Calum? I haven't seen him in forever!"

"But we just started the movie," she whines back, and I frown.

"I promise you won't be third-wheeling. The rest of the band with be hanging out with us at the pool." I look over at her hopefully, and her blue eyes widen a little.

"Will Luke be there?" She squeaks, and I try my best to contain my smirk. I saw how red her cheeks got when he accidentally hugged her instead of me.

"Why yes, he will be," I tell her knowingly. "He told me to bring you over."

"No, he didn't!" She gapes in disbelief.

"Looks like someone's got a crush on my boyfriend!" I tease, and poor Beth's face turns bright red at my accusation.

"No! I mean... he's not your real boyfriend or anything..." She hangs her head in self-disappointment, so I tilt her chin up and wink to assure her that I'm only messing with her.

" She hangs her head in self-disappointment, so I tilt her chin up and wink to assure her that I'm only messing with her