Less Talking, More Walking

Day 1 ~
Connie stretched as she yawned gradually waking up. Jacob rolled onto his side beside her a smile resting on his lips. "Mmm morning-" "Hello you."

Jacob leant over and placed a gentle kiss to her lips as she moved a hand to his neck. "It's pretty quiet this morning-" "Quiet and our kids is dangerous Jacob, we should probably get up." He moaned dropping back to the bed while watching Connie stand up.

She pulled on one of his shirts over her underwear and slipped on her shorts. "Come on, get up-" "5 more minutes..." He grabbed her hand pulling her back down to the bed and positioning himself above a laughing Connie.

"Uncle Cal do you think Mummy will like this?" Charlie held up the picture he'd spent several minutes on this morning. "I think she'll love it. Do you want something to eat?" Charlie nodded before returning to his drawing.

Alicia sat up from the sofa with a smile as Cal stood up. "I'll go check on the girls and then make something to eat." Alicia nodded kissing him quickly before he disappeared.

"Morning." Charlie stepped through the cabin wandering into the kitchen. "Coffee?" "Sounds great..." Alicia yawned again as she lay back down on the bed. "Late night?" Charlie smirked from the kitchen as Alicia laughed. "No, early morning with this one. Thought we'd give Connie and Jacob a chance to sleep."

Cal knocked on the girls door but received no response. He pushed it open gently to see them both fast asleep still. Wandering inside he sat down on Amy's bed.

"I think it's about time you two woke up!" He began to tickle her causing her to squirm and move beneath his hands. "Uncle Cal! Stop!" Amy's laughter became breathless as he gave up and moved across to Grace doing the same to her.

Amy jumped onto Grace's bed trying to pull Cal off. Soon enough the girls were holding him down to the floor as they stopped him from tickling either of them anymore. "I surrender! I surrender!" "Now there's a first time for everything, Cal actually giving up for a change."

Connie smirked from the doorway as Jacob stood behind her. "Morning Mum-" "Morning Connie." The couple wandered away leaving Cal to it.

They stumbled through the cabin smiling and laughing as Jacob wrapped his arms around Connie's waist. "Hey you two-" Connie composed herself spinning in Jacob's arms. "Morning Alicia-" "Mummy!"

Charlie ran across the room as Connie moved from Jacob's arms picking him up. "Hey baby! Wow what's this?" Jacob kissed Charlie before sitting down beside Alicia.

After Cal had managed to prise himself away from the girls he made breakfast with Jacob's help for everyone. There was a table big enough for all of them at one end of the large living room.

"I thought we could all head out for a walk this afternoon. There's a trail leading into the woods the other side of the road." Charlie, Grace and Amy all began agreeing while Alicia and Connie looked reluctant. "Can we? Can we? Can we? Pleeeeaseeee Mum?" "Pleeeeaseee Connie?"

"Fine." She held her hands up knowing she was out numbered. "You better go and get changed then, Grace could you help-" "Charlie yeah... Come on." He took hold of her hand as they disappeared towards the bedroom.

Within an hour they were all outside together. Jacob led the way with the children following closely behind him. Cal and Alicia walked joking with one another while Connie hung back with Charlie.

"How are you feeling this morning?" Connie put on a smile nodding. "I'm okay, just a little tired from the driving yesterday." He smiled watching ahead as they continued to walk.

"Thank you for coming Charlie, it's nice to have you here." The older man smiled as they caught up to everyone else.

Jacob, Cal, Charlie, Grace and Amy were running around laughing when Jacob and Cal couldn't catch up to them. "Like I could miss this... Although this does remind me of being in the ED-" "Hey! My department is not run like this."

Connie had her arms folded against her chest when Jacob looked at her. "Hate to tell you sweet cheeks but it is very much like this. You just don't see that because we're good at doing it while you're not looking." She raised a perfectly arched eyebrow as the girls stood beside Jacob laughing.

"What's so funny?" He glanced down at them as Grace stopped. "You might want to run, and hope that Mum being pregnant has slowed her down..." "What do you mean?"

Jacob looked back to Connie who was looking at him still. "Oh." He turned around as Connie moved towards him. "Okay I didn't mean it! I was lying wasn't I girls?" "Don't get us involved."

Grace and Amy laughed watching as Connie continued to chase Jacob around before he stood behind some trees so she couldn't reach him.

Sometime later they were all wandering along the trail again. "Mum? I think it's-" "About to rain? Yeah me too." Within seconds there was a loud crashing of thunder above them as rain began to pour.

Charlie, Grace and Amy were all laughing still running about while Connie looked unimpressed. Cal and Alicia pushed each other about gently while Jacob wrapped an arm around Connie attempting to keep her a little drier.

They headed back towards the cabin a lot slower than Connie had hoped for. "Okay come on I'd rather not get hyperthermia out here-" "Connie you know that is not likely." She looked at Charlie shrugging. "I liked you, I thought you were on my side."

Jacob chuckled beside her before feeling an elbow digging into her side. The children were running up the steps of the cabin while Cal and Alicia were messing around.

"Oi, you two! Less talking and more walking, now!" Alicia stopped and dropped her head with a slightly embarrassed smile while pulling Cal's hand forwards and into the warmth of the cabin.

They'd spent most of the day outside and once inside, Charlie fell asleep on the sofa. Connie smiled running a hand through his hair as she sat watching him. "Connie, do you want a drink?" She smiled across at Alicia with a nod. "Please."

Jacob wandered in wearing a thick jumper siting behind Connie on the floor. He placed his lips to her neck as she leant into his chest. "How you feeling baby?" He moved his hands around her waist resting on her bump as she relaxed into him. "I'm alright, tired." "Well I'm up for an early night if you are?"

She accepted the warm drink from Alicia as they all sat down together for the evening talking and enjoying themselves.

Charlie had definitely been right with his description of a mismatched family, but it was something Connie had never had. She was enjoying the experience and was sure it would lead to some interesting events over the next few weeks.