A New Beginning

A/N - Apologies, my interest in this has been lacking hugely and with uni getting closer I'm not going to have as much time... So I've cut this short and this'll be the penultimate chapter. Sorry to anyone who hoped for more but I wanted to end it happy rather than get bored and leave you hanging! ☺️👍

2 years later...

There were willow trees branching out over the water with blossom trees at the edge closest to them. As the wind blew gently the pink petals blew up around them before settling at her feet. The water was black only reflecting the light of the moon. It was secluded and not easy to find making it somewhere people could easily get away from the hustle and bustle of life for a while.

Connie noticed Jacob had sat down on a small wooden platform which was beside the water. She walked over taking a seat down beside him staying quiet for a moment. From here she could see the other end of the lake where there was a very small waterfall barely noticeable from any other angle.

Laughter was the only sound that could be heard. Connie's eyes snapped opened coming back to reality as she looked out over the water. The same waterfall flowing creating the soothing sound in the distance. The blossom from the tree falling lightly in the breeze across the lake. As the sun slowly set in the sky, the golden light glowed over her.

"Auntie Connie! Auntie Connie!" She turned around looking down at her 14 year old niece who grabbed her hand pulling her up to the table. "Come on, it's time for the cake!" "Alright I'm coming sweetheart." She laughed letting Amy pull her up to the table where everyone else was beginning to stop around.

Jacob reached his arm around her shoulders kissing her temple bringing a larger smile to her lips as she leant into him. Amy moved to stand between Grace and Jessica who were all giggling about something. Connie bent down picking Daisy up after she'd stumbled over to them both.

Beside them, Cal and Alicia stood holding Amelia before everyone began to sing. "Granddad quick!" Charlie pulled on his hand dragging him towards the table before Lily carried a small cake out to the table. Everyone's smiles became an infectious sight, their words drifting through the air.

Happy birthday to you! Alicia leant forwards with Amelia giving her a helping hand blowing out the few candles. Amy, Jessica and Grace began laughing pretty soon after while everyone else clapped and chattered. Ethan took Amelia from Alicia while Cal pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. "Happy Birthday Amelia!" She giggled as her Uncle kissed her cheek. As he stood back up she placed her hands on his cheeks, a high pitched voice emerging. "Nibbles!"

Ethan's eyes widened as Cal and Alicia broke out into laughter at some of their daughters only words. "Trust you to teach her that before anything else Caleb." Ethan smirked looking back to Amelia before moving to Emilie placing her granddaughter on her lap. Charlie remained beside her offering some support if she were to need any.

"You okay sweet cheeks?" "I am perfect thank you Mr Masters." He smiled placing a kiss to her lips again before parting, returning to the BBQ he had been preparing. Alicia moved over to Connie with a smile, laying her head to her shoulder. "You good?" "I'm good... Can you believe we're back here again?"

Connie smiled placing a hand up and over her cheek causing her to laugh standing back up. "It's nice isn't it?" "It is." They looked out to the lake where the girls laughter was coming from. Grace was swimming in the water turning her head away as Amy dived into the water beside her while Jessica was throwing water up over Charlie. She looked to her daughter wandering when on earth she had grown up so much.

Grace was 16 now and the years were flying by, and Charlie being 7 seemed a ridiculous idea but it was happening. Everyone was growing up around them as day by day their first holiday together became a mere glimpse of their past. Connie spun back looking to Jacob standing with Ethan at the BBQ beside the porch of the cabin.

It hadn't changed much since the last time they'd been here. Everything looked as she had remembered it. "Hey baby..." "Mummy..." Connie smiled spinning Daisy around in her arms before hugging her tightly.

Jacob glanced at Connie, happy to see the smile on her face. Over the last few years it had been hard at times, but she always found a way through. Now though, you could barely tell a single thing had gone wrong.

Cal was running down to the lake mimicking the girls actions before jumping into the water. Ethan did the same before they all swam further out into the lake towards the waterfall. "You not g-going ladies-s?" "Ohhh no, not for me." Connie laughed sitting down beside Emilie as Alicia and Lily shook their hands. "We'll leave that to those two thanks!"

Amelia bounced about slightly causing Emilie to smile down at her. "S-she's so big n-now." Alicia nodded looking to her daughter with a huge smile. "And more and more beautiful with each day." Charlie took Amelia from Emilie with a grin keeping hold of her for a while.

Today Amelia was 2 and it seemed only fitting that they all came away for that time. There had never been a doubt in Alicia's mind where they should go. Everything had started right here and they were all thankful for that.