Chapter 12

"Hate is a weak sign of failure."

¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°

"Sir, we need more troops."

The hooded woman was silent and had her back facing the stormtrooper. She looked, from the back, strangely serene for she showed no signs of anger or irritation. Usually if the First Order ever lost a battle she would lash out with the force in anger. But this time she was calm and reserved.

The stormtrooper swallowed and tentatively asked, "Sir?" The instant he had spoken for the second time, he flinched as if he expected her to whip around and Force choke him. But she was silent until finally she turned her head slightly in his direction.

"Pull the division out," she ordered him with a wave of her gloved hand. "We have what we need."

"Yes sir." He nodded and then turned to his comrades. "Pull the division out!"

A growl rumbled in her throat as she watched Resistance fighters shoot down First Order TIE-Fighters. One in particular stuck out to her. It was obvious that they were the leader. She nose scrunched up as she snarled. Poe Dameron, the supposedly "best pilot in the Resistance".

Nyx, we're retreating. Kylo's voice echoed in her head snapping her out of her thoughts. Giving one last growl at the fighter, she turned on her heal and started to march towards the Command Shuttle but stopped short when she saw Kylo board the shuttle with a girl in his arms. A girl. Why didn't he take the droid?!

With fury racing through her veins and quickly boarded the shuttle and sat down in a seat across from Kylo with her arms folded across her chest.

"Would you mind telling me why you have brought a girl onboard and not the BB unit we were searching for?" She asked him coolly with her eyes fixed on the unconscious woman laying on another seat. She was young, maybe eighteen or nineteen with brown hair tied into three buns at the back of her head. She wore light tan clothing covered in dirt and dust. Her skin was fair and she had pale freckles speckled across her cheeks from sun exposure. A Scavenger. Nyx wrinkled her nose in disgust.

"She has seen the map," Kylo said simply. "All I have to do is extract it from her mind." But Nyx had the feeling he wasn't telling her the truth.

"You had the droid in your grasp yet you chose to take this-this-Scavenger rat instead. Why?"

Kylo sighed and looked over at the unconscious form. "I recognized her...somehow I feel like I know her."

Realization dawned on her and she scoffed incredulously. "You can't possibly be saying that she's the girl from your vision!"

"It is possible," he said with a shrug of his muscular shoulders. "All that matters is that she has seen the map."

Nyx hissed is revulsion. Scavengers were disgusting and unsanitary folk. They were dirty from spending their lives scavenging for rusty ship parts and in return receiving food portions that were probably no good anymore. Yet there was something different about this scavenger. Unlike most scavengers from Jakku she had a sense of dignity about her.

"I don't trust her," she said curtly. "Something isn't right about her. She's...different."

"Indeed."

They sat in silence for the rest of the ride.

¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤

Conflict-so much conflict and complications. Hux was so demanding, Snoke had expectations far too high, and Kylo barricaded his mind and heart with a nearly unbreakable wall. And there was so much work that had to be done-studies to continue, training to finish, meditation, reading over plans, making sure that the officers were fulfilling their duties—there was too much and Nyx didn't have time for problems. But as usual, problems always happened. Always.

She had been heading to her chambers in the Base when two Stormtroopers nearly ran into her. Fortunately, her lightening fast reflexes kicked in and she stepped to the side.

"GH-0567, JD-2100 what is the meaning of this? Surely there must be a reason for this rather foolish and unruly behavior," she demanded irritably with her arms folded and her foot tapping the ground lightly.

"Yes sir!" They saluted and pointed behind them down the hall. "Commander Ren is being...uh..."

Nyx rolled her eyes and stormed past them. Oh, she had so much work to do. Why did he have to start one of his tantrums now?

Just then, there was a furious yell down the hall, followed by a series of explosions and loud bangs.

"Kylo-" she ducked as his red blade swung over her head and she blocked herself with the force as sparks rained down on her when Kylo started to slash the walls. "You do know that this all costs money!" She yelled over the explosions and roars. But he ignored her. Nyx sighed grabbed his arm as he went to add another smoking gash in the wall. He was clearly taken by surprise and stumbled back a little bit.

"What?" He gasped with heaving shoulders.

She forced the lightsaber out of his hand and deactivated it with a zoop. "And what is the meaning of this behavior?"

"The Scavenger," he spat venomously, "she escaped."

"What?!" Not waiting for a reply she stormed out of the destroyed interrogation chamber and called over a troop of soldiers. "Put the base on high alert. The prisoner has escaped. She must not be allowed to escape the base."

"Yes sir."

Nyx whipped around to face the now calmed down man. "How could this happen?"

"She has the Force—I can feel it. When I attempted to use the mind probe on her extract information, she somehow blocked me and got into my mind."

"A Scavenger rat resisted you?" Nyx said in disbelief. "Then this is why she must not be allowed to escape. She's just beginning to test her powers."

Kylo nodded in agreement. "I'll alert Hux."

"And I will try to find her." With a swift turn in her heel she was off down the hall.

The Scavenger had the Force. Who were her parents? And why had she been living alone on Jakku? What was her name, and how had she gotten on the Junkyard planet? Whoever she was, she had to be stopped. And fast.

¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°

Sorry if it's a bit short today. I have a lot of things coming up-finals is one of them. So I'm sorry if I don't update a lot.

Thank you,

Mads