Chapter 37

Media: Scorched Earth—From the Movie Avatar, music by James Horner

¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°

"He will pay."

¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°

It was only a week later when it happened.

Nyx was laying asleep on Kylo's chest. Her long dark hair contrasted greatly against the white of the pillows. Everything was peaceful and quiet as dawn fast approached. But then her ears pricked up when she heard the sound of twigs cracking and voices shouting. And then there was a scream from outside the tent.

Instantly she sat up with her eyes widened in alarm. She started to shake Kylo's shoulders. "Kylo—Kylo!"

Only a little ways away, she heard the sound of a tree creaking as it fell over. There were more screams.

Panic was starting to rush through her veins and she shook Kylo harder. "KYLO!"

Much to her relief, his eyes opened and he sprung to his feet as a blaster fired nearby. "Nyx—"

"We don't have time, Kylo!" Nyx yelled, jumping out of the bed and pulling her Sith clothes on. "Get dressed and run!"

More blaster fire sounded and an explosion caused her to go flying backwards. Nyx let out a scream and covered her head to protect herself from pieces of wood and dirt. The tent collapsed and Nyx struggled to see.

"Kylo!" She screamed crawling out from under the destroyed tent and pulling the tent back so she could see underneath it. Her eyes quickly landed on his unconscious form and she rushed over and grabbed his arms, trying to pull him to safety. She slapped him a couple times, but his eyes didn't open.

With her heart thudding rapidly in her chest, she groaned as she pulled him away from the forest where the blaster fire and tree-breaking was coming from. And then her face morphed into that of shock as stormtroopers started to appear.

Why were they here?

Nyx whistled as loud as she could. Tears streamed down her face as she  watched her people get shot in the back as they tried to flee from the soldiers. Screams filled the air along with the feeling of confusion, terror, and shock.

Tents were set aflame and trees were run down by tanks. Nyx screamed in horror as a large tree fell and landed on three oblivious Murvanian girls. Their screams were smothered by the trunk of the tree. She closed her eyes and allowed a tear to drip  down her face.

Another explosion went off beside her and she desperately tried to cover Kylo's unconscious body. Small bits of bark and rock cut into her skin and blood mixed with her tears.

Murvanian people ran from the soldiers in terror, dropping anything they held in their hands—baskets, food, laundry, ship parts, even a dead animal.

A black shadow darkened the ground around her and Nyx cried out with relief as Antaru Landed next to her.

"Take Kylo and as many people as you can fit on your back, somewhere safe. Protect my people Antaru," she ordered him. "And kill every stormtrooper you happen upon."

Antaru bobbed his head and lowered his neck to the ground so Nyx could place Kylo's unconscious body on his back. Then, with a monstrous roar, he took off into the sky.

A hand suddenly grabbed hers and she jumped.

"Sister, it's me!" Ora said. Her pale face was covered in ash and smoke. And her white hair was in disarray. "Come, help me get our people to safety."