Chapter One: Meet Teddy

TEDDY'S P.O.V.:

Hi, my name is Teddy, and welcome to my terrifying world. I have an abusive father and an alcoholic mother. It's a horrible pair, and it makes me hate the life that I've been given. Every morning that I wake up, I find my mom drunk, knocked out, or hungover when I go downstairs to the main floor of my house. Then, I usually get hit or shoved to the ground by my own father because he's so angry about my mom and has no one else to take his anger out on. Every day when I come home from school, my mom is usually on the couch drinking and my dad is verbally abusing her while she does it. Every night before I go to sleep, my mom is out partying at a bar getting wasted, and my dad tries to apologize for what he did to me, and I pretend to forgive him. That's a day in the life of me.

I have one best friend and her name is Violet. She's the only person in my life that I actually trust, and she's the only person that has ever been there for me. I've known her since third grade, when my parents were both sober and I had a normal life. Through everything that has happened in my family, Violet has always stood by me and has always been my shoulder to cry on. I don't know what I would do if I ever lost her. She's the only person I can run to in time of need.

I usually spend most of my time Violet's house so I can avoid the problems here at home. She has a really big family, and I consider them my real family since the people I am related to by blood are not the perfect definition of an ideal family. Her parents' names are Angelina and Kurt, and then she has six siblings and another on the way. There's Noah, who is 21, Garret, who is 18, Charlevoix, who is 13, Terra, who is 8, Braiden, who is 5, and Winter, who is 2. Violet is 17, just like me. Her two older brothers are extremely protective over her. Any time they overhear us talking about boys, they jump into the conversation trying to say that boys are stupid and they don't deserve girls like her. Charlevoix is one of the kindest girls I've ever met in my life. Terra has some sass to her, and she probably gets that from Garret because he is like her best friend and favorite sibling. However, Garret is also a very physical person, and he's known for getting into fights a lot. Braiden is the sweetest little boy I've ever met, and also the funniest little boy I've ever met. Winter is the cutest toddler I've ever seen in my entire life and she gets into all kinds of mischief. Whenever I have a bad day at my house, I always go to Violet's house to escape it. Her parents don't know that my parents are abusive, they just know that my parents don't get along and are really mean to me. I haven't told her parents because I don't want my parents to become even angrier with me than they already are. Noah and Garret know slightly more than their parents, but they don't know enough to take it to the police. Violet keeps quiet because she wants to protect me, and that's one reason why I love her so much.

*

*

*

My alarm went off at 6:30AM, as usual. I go into my daily routine, get up, brush my teeth, shower, get dressed, do my hair and makeup, put on the deo and perfume, grab my backpack and walk onto my bedroom's balcony and wait for Garret and Violet to come pick me up. I choose not to go through the front door because I don't want to risk the confrontation of my parents.

When they pull up, Garret comes to the back while Violet stays look out for my parents. I throw my backpack down to him and then I trust him enough to catch me as I jump off of my balcony, which is two stories high. Then we run to the car and drive to school.

"Did you dye your hair?" I asked Violet on the way to school.

"Yeah, do you like it?!" She asked.

"Yeah!! You look good as a blonde." I smiled.

"Thanks!!! I think so too." She smiled back.

"I don't understand why girls dye their hair, like, isn't natural the 'in' thing?" Garret questioned.