Chapter Four: Runaway

TEDDY'S P.O.V.:

I woke up the next morning feeling even worse than I did last night. My best friend is mad at me, my mom hates me, and my dad is just as bad as he's always been.

It's Friday.

I got up and attempted to do my daily routine, but my side that's completely bruised was screaming from pain. I sat back down on my bed and held my side. Tears fell from my eyes.

"I hate this life." I mumbled to myself.

I know that I have to push through the pain, so I got up, showered, got dressed, did my hair and makeup, and went downstairs and out the door as fast as humanly possible. I started walking down the street and then I hear someone yelling.

"TEDDY GORDON!!!!!! GET BACK IN THIS HOUSE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!" It was my dad...

What do I do? Do I keep going? Or do I turn around and risk more confrontation? I stopped in my tracks and turned around to see my dad holding the door open.

"I have to go to school, dad!!!" I shouted back.

"YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO ANYWHERE!!!!!!!! NOW GET BACK HERE BEFORE I COME GET YOU MYSELF!!!!!!" He yelled even louder.

I started walking back to the house, terrified of what's to come.

As I walked into the house, my dad shoved me to the floor and slammed the door shut behind him.

"I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU THINK YOU ARE FOR RUNNING YOUR MOUTH OFF TO YOUR STUPID FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!! WHAT HAPPENS IN THIS HOUSE, STAYS IN THIS HOUSE, DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!?!?!??!?!" He yelled.

"Yes, dad, why are y—" I tried.

"LITTLE VIOLET'S MOTHER CALLED ME THIS MORNING AND ASKED WHAT WAS HAPPENING IN THIS HOUSEHOLD!!!!!!!!!" He screamed as he dragged me across the floor by my arm.

"She what?!?" I said, shocked.

"I WISH YOU WOULD JUST BE A GOOD KID AND KEEP FAMILY THINGS PRIVATE!!!!!!!!" He slapped me, "NOW YOUR FRIEND'S MOM IS SUSPICIOUS!!!!!!!! DO YOU REALLY WANT TO SEND ME TO PRISON??!?!?!? DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE SEND TO A FOSTER HOME?!?!?!?! I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!!"

"I'm sorry, I—" I tried.

"STOP FUCKING TALKING WHEN I'M TALKING!!!!!!!!!" He yelled and slapped me again, "IF ANOTHER WORD COMES OUT OF YOUR MOUTH TO YOUR FRIEND ABOUT ME, I'LL DO MUCH WORSE THAN WHAT YOU'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!! NOW GET YOUR ASS UP AND GO TO SCHOOL!!!!!!!! AND DON'T TELL ANY OF YOUR STUPID TEACHERS ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!"

I got up as quickly as I could and I hurried out the door. As soon as I got down the street and around the corner, I sat down on a bench and cried into the palms of my hands. I can't believe Violet would tell her parents about this after she promised me she never would. I didn't think that her moving away would change things between us, but I guess I was wrong.

*

*

*

When I got home from school, I could hear my dad screaming at my mom in the basement. I didn't want to get confronted so I hurried up the stairs to my room and shut the door behind me.

I want to talk to Violet about this, but at the same time, I feel like my dad would find out and take his anger out on me.

I heard glasses shattering and more screaming, so they must be in the kitchen. Why have I been dealt such terrible cards? I'm so sick of living like this... I'm sick of living at all...