05

The thunder rumbled in the sky as black clouds had cursed the land above, plummeting the town into an unfathomably eerie darkness.

Screams of terror and triumph were heard every time the thunder would settle, but it wasn't for long. A young Marianne did not know what was worse, hearing the deaths of her fellow witches, or the storm. She had always hated storms from when she was a child. They reminded her of something that she never ever wanted to think about; for under the same sky, in similar conditions. Marianne's mother was burnt at the stake.

But her family had a silent agreement to not speak of that day. It made Marianne feel better if she shut everything out. Therefore nobody but witnesses to the event knew about the passing.

"Hush, dear" her father knelt down and stopped her whimpers. They had been hiding in a darkened room in their hut just on the outskirts of their Coven's land.

"Where is Damien?" She asked for her younger brother who instantly appeared in the doorway.

"I'm scared" he wined; running towards his father and sister, pulling their arms around him.

Marianne's father looked towards her "you know what to do, don't you?" He asked "in case they come in"

"To take Damien and escape through the back" she said, pointing to the small escape door behind her, it was easily accessible in case someone burst through at any moment.

As the thunder rumbled louder and the screams became closer, the small seven year old boy didn't know what to do, so he ran out of the door and into another room. Just as Marianne heard the door break down.

"In here" a gruff voice summoned the rest of his men as the caught sight of the small boy.

Marianne stood up swiftly to rescue her brother but her arm had been pulled back by her father. Instead, he ran through to save his son.

"laissez maintenant, Marie" he called back as piercing screams of torment and pain filled the hut. He had told her to leave immediately.

"Papa"'she cried back, speaking in French to confuse the guards who spoke English. But there had been no reply, the footsteps loudened which forced Marianne to do something she never wished to do.

She had to leave; without her family. She crouched through the small door and ran into the forest.

"I went back a few days later to find my village crumbled to ash and ruins, the remnants of my own concern huddled in the forest" Marianne had gained everyone's interest as she explained so vividly the situation she had been forced into "powerful witches, brought down un-noble men and their steeds"

Rebekah looked the most heart-broken by her story. She too had been through a lot, with the death of their mother and the loss of their own lives, the shunning from their own home. She could relate.

"I was told that my father had been murdered on sight, but my brother had been taken into the dungeons to serve life behind bars" Marianne explained further "it was then when they told me the name of the man who lead the hunt, the man who murdered my father and kidnapped my brother, it was Tristan De Martel"

Elijah felt for the girl, he saw her in a completely different light now. She was no longer an over-confident and snobby rich girl, and now a very sneaky, family-orientated witch. "How are you in this position now?" He asked

"My coven told me that they'd shun me if I even associated with the De Martel's even if it were for my brothers sake" she explained "I faked my identity as a high society woman from another town, and he was taken with me straight away. I decided if I became closer to him, I might be able to find where he keeps my brother. I've spent days on end searching through the castle and the only lead I have is a locked door that I cannot seem to find the key to"

"...and when you've opened that and found your brother?" Elijah asked

"Tristan and all of his family will be history. I'll kill them all on my own" she admitted, telling them the last of her plan; hoping they'd have no connection to Tristan and no reason to tell him.

"And why are you telling us this?" Rebekah asked; not even the slightest of judgement in her voice. Rebekah wasn't one to speak as she'd give herself away to anyone who would show kindness.

Marianne squinted her eyes and looked to her "because for some reason, Rebekah, was it? I actually trust you" she said "and if you had the slightest intention of telling on me, I would sense it, and I can melt your eyeballs out with a single look"

"I doubt you can do that, love" Kol chuckled at her feistiness, obviously she didn't know that they were immortal yet, but it just amused him.

"Please" she looked to the man she knew as Elijah because something about him told her that he would be the one to help her first. Something in his eyes told her that he is the one most noble and trustworthy. "I've told you everything I know, if that doesn't tell you how much you can trust me then I do not know what is"

Elijah turned to his family. In complete truthfulness, he could actually say "I trust her"

Finn wasn't too sure but Niklaus and Rebekah followed in their brothers footsteps. "If you trust her, then so do we" they nodded.

And Kol, well he was just Kol.

"We are from lands far from here, a small village named Mystic falls. Our mother, Esther was a very powerful witch" Elijah went on to say.

The family took Marianne on a vividly they through the age where they were once human. They told her the stories leading up to their inevitable re birth.

"Some call us the living dead, but vampire has actually stuck with us" Rebekah added on to the end.

"S-so you are dead but you still breathe?" She mustered up the courage to ask. They seemed so lifelike and she would never ever come to that conclusion. "It would explain how your face changed in the hallway, how fast you can move and your ability to sense other creatures"

Elijah nodded his head "our father is chasing us, he has been ever since we left our village. That is why we need a witch"

"What would my job entale?" She asked

"Just a small spell; a locator spell to be exact, just to block anyone trying to find out whereabouts" Elijah replied to her.

Marianne reminisced about her younger years "I did create my own blocking spell when I was only learning" her mind listed the ingredients she needed "but I'd only do this under one circumstance"

"You help me find my brother and kill Tristan"