09

Elijah didn't want to leave Marianne on her own. She was an absolute mess, her eyes wouldn't stop watering and she wouldn't stop sniffling.

"Niklaus" Elijah walked over to his family who sat by the lake and around a fire. Lucien's body lay infront of them. Marianne hid behind, she never really liked seeing dead bodies, they scared her.

"My blood healed him" Klaus looked at the floor and didn't flinch when Elijah came; he was so distraught.

"What?" Elijah's parted lips spoke as he walked over

"My blood, healed Lucien before he was murdered" Niklaus spoke again "our blood has healing properties"

It was an odd thing to find out. But now it changed everything. "Do you really think it was your blood that healed him?" He asked in disbelief

"I saw it with my own eyes" Niklaus looked at the body "when I found his body, I tried to feed him more and... Nothing"

"So then we can only heal the living" Elijah concluded "I know this can't be easy for you brother"

Elijah walked closer to rest his hand on Niklaus' shoulder when they were interrupted by a large gasp and Lucien's dead body sitting up.

Elijah squinted and tried to believe what he was seeing. "This cannot be"

Lucien looked around; his eyes fixating on Marianne "I can hear her heartbeat" he exclaimed, rising from the floor and stepping closer.

Marianne stepped back as Elijah intercepted them. "Niklaus, please take Lucien to the castle and attempt to decipher what has happened"

He didn't trust Lucien and his odd resurrection, especially not near Marianne of all people.

The rest of the family followed behind.

"I must help my family" Elijah informed Marianne as soon as they were left alone "I'll accompany back up to your room first"

"There is no need" she smiled up at him with wide eyes "I needed the time away from everything"

"Are you sure?" Elijah asked "it is dark now, it might not be safe"

"I can take care of myself; I will not walk out of the castle borders" Marianne raised her eyebrow and actually realised that he cared for her.

It took Elijah a while to agree and leave without her "promise me you'll alert me of your return, even if it is to be late, you know where my chambers are"

"I will slip a note under your door" Marianne smiled again and watched him walk away and finally disappear in the night. Leaving her with her own thoughts.

She found the nearest tree and rested her forehead against it, her hands grabbing the trunk. Marianne took a deep breath and tried to gather all of the information she had received today.

Damien was alive and they were going to be reunited but then she had just witnessed the resurrection of a servant. Everything was falling apart rapidly and she had been trying to glue it back together.

"I thought I sensed a traitor" someone in the distance snarled.

Marianne took a breath in and opened her eyes, the time alone she wanted interrupted. Again.

"You are out of bounds, Grace" Marianne knew her voice from the beginning, finally standing up and turning to face the other witch.

These two had gone way back; Grace being a few years older but they had practically grown up together and learnt their witchcraft together. Marianne being a tiny bit stronger and grave being a little bit jealous.

"You have to break some rules to find what you truly want" she replied "the others will not dare to cross the borderline, they have been waiting outside for ages but it is time someone takes charge"

"I have been shunned from what remains of the coven" Marianne replied "I am nothing to do with any of you anymore, why have you been waiting for me?"

"You are correct, Marie, you have been shunned but let's not forget the situation you find yourself in" Grace stepped closer, the fire from Lucien's wake dying out yet still giving out enough light to enable her to see. "You have been living, allowing Tristan to go out and murder witches and now you've allied with some sort of naturalistic abnormality"

"I've freed witches where I can and I am only in this situation so I can save my brother, because unlike any of you witches, he had been there for me" Marianne spat back

"Yes but you wouldn't be in this situation if you were there for him; but instead you ran like a coward" Grace retaliated

"I cannot listen to your venom" Marianne gritted her teeth and turned to walk away but something stopped her, an unfathomably painful headache waved across her head, sending her tumbling to the ground. Her hands clawed at her head to try and stop it but it wouldn't stop.

Get up Marianne she told herself use your magic

But she couldn't even gather her thoughts to speak a word, only screams and grunts came from her mouth and she could definitely not use her powers.

"Maybe it is a good job that we had waited this long; because this revenge will be sweet" Grace leant down to Marianne's convulsing body, her nose bleeding as she had almost given up. "This does not only effect you; but your new allies"

Marianne's vision had blurred and she could barely hear her old friend speak. All she heard was a high pitched beeping sound as Grace reached down and forced something into her mouth; then cut her wrist to collect her blood.

"Now sleep" she said "when you least expect it, your perfect life will be tarnished"

Grace blew some strange powder into Marianne's face and finally the pain stopped and everything went black.