20

Marianne's bare feet stepped on to the cold flooring. That's all she could see, was her feet stood upon the unique coloured wooden floorboards. She paid attention to the smaller details, one floorboard had a humungous crack that shaped almost like a perfect zig zag.

As her vision was blurred, it took a while for her to focus in on what was making a dripping noise. A tap maybe? But no, she finally was able to see the Crimson liquid dropping just like the rain she had seen before she left the old town. But why was there blood?

Marianne looked down to her chest now, her feet blurring into the background as she focussed on the massive hole that cursed her chest. Her hands clawed to see what had happened, pressing against the wound. But it seemed her heart had been ripped from her chest, and she saw it fall to the floor, making a large splat as it did so.

She didn't know what to do, a ringing sound in her ears that only served to give her a headache. She saw flashes of a rocky road, she saw flashes of trees that draped low, acting almost like curtains. She saw a beaming sun. And then she saw the mess on the floor, where her heart and blood lay in some sort of symmetry.

So she screamed.

"No" Marianne jolted up, her hands flying towards her chest to find that everything was intact. She tried to catch her breath as her eyes flickered around the room.

She wasn't used to this room, everything seemed unfamiliar. By the look of the sky, it was late hours of the night, early hours of the morning and oddly, the moon shone brighter than it had ever done in any of the other places she stayed in.

Elijah wasn't too far to wake up behind her. He was fast asleep, on his stomach, beside her. Marianne saw him as her safety, and whenever she had gotten scared, she'd always shuffle closer, and he'd always put her arm around her.

It was against practically everyone's ethics, every normal person at least, to share a bed with a man before marriage. But Marianne didn't know how she even slept alone.

"What is it?" He jumped up and looked at her, his eyes examining each part to see if she was hurt. By the noises she made, he thought she was.

A million thoughts ran through her head at once. One one hand, she could confess to Elijah that she had visions from when she was younger, visions of her death that now came back to haunt her as this town matched it. On the other, she could tell him that it was just a bad dream, to save the embarrassment of being wrong. She argued with herself, every place probably looks similar to what she had seen. And maybe it was only a coincidence that the exact vision of her death has just popped up now. It was on her mind so that was why she might have dreamt it.

"Just a nightmare" she shook her head "nothing to worry about"

He took a deep breath out in relief "you have the ability to frighten one of the strongest creatures on the planet" he laughed.

"I apologise" she smiled, focussing on his hands and then his eyes "I have to admit these few days have been exceptionally hard"

Elijah held her hand tightly "you were given this life because you were strong enough to live it" he told her, and he was truthful about it. She was strong, and soon enough her efforts would all be worth it.

"I say it has given me more resilience" she admitted "sometimes I miss how easy it was when I was in France"

Marianne regretted what she said immediately, she knew it would hurt Elijah, and it did. She practically told him that sometimes she yearned for the life Tristan had given to her, but it was easy for her.

"When we find the wood of what kills our father" he lifted Marianne's hand up and kissed it gently "I can give you a slide beyond your wildest dreams, no more running, no more fighting" he promised.

"You are doing enough as it is" Marianne told him, knowing that this was torture for Elijah, seeing her at her lowest, yet she couldn't seem to fake her emotions around him. He knew. "My mind plays tricks on me and because of everything that we have gone through...."

"... You do not need to explain" Elijah lay down and pulled her along with him. Marianne's head fit perfectly into the curve of his shoulder as she came closer. "I understand, and tomorrow I will take you out, to see what our new town is like"

"I'd like that" Marianne smiled, Elijah couldn't see her smile but he felt the movement on his bare shoulder.

And so Elijah, knowing that the woman he loves was safe and that she was unharmed, drifted back off to sleep. Leaving poor Marianne lying awake, her eyes wouldn't close, not even to blink. She was too scared.

Her heart rate was constantly fastening to the extent where she thought it would beat out of her chest, and then after a few hours of worrying, she had a few seconds of relief, as she thought of as many excuses and explanations for all of the coincidences as she could.

She thought back and forth for most of the night until finally, she shut her eyes and managed to distract herself from it, finally managing to go to sleep, in Elijah's arms.