50

Marianne had started to shut her eyes for long periods of time, Elijah felt like they were centuries but in reality it was only a few seconds, even a minute. "Marianne open your eyes" he demanded, choking back the tears "please open your eyes"

"Sorry" she muttered, flickering them open to see Elijah's face again "I just feel so tired"

"You need to fight this" he replied "you are strong, you can do this"

Marianne smiled up to him, well what she could call a smile as her muscles felt like titanium, so heavy and so hard to move. "Elijah..." She began, her voice soft.

"... I don't want to hear any goodbyes, Marianne, you are going to get through this" he urged.

She tried to lift her hand up to touch his face, but she could only hover it a few centimetres away from her body. Instead, Elijah took it and placed it where she needed it to be, keeping grasp on it at all times.

"It hurts so much" she cried "I can't even think of a good way of saying goodbye." She shut her eyes and let tears fall "please Elijah, you know what you have to do"

"You can't ask me that" Elijah was absolutely distraught "Marianne, that's not fair"

"You've done it before" she pleaded "Elijah I need this pain gone"

"What about the liquid you made us all drink? Did you drink that? Can we come back to get you?" Elijah tried to think of everything and anything to keep her alive.

"My only focus was getting the ones I care about and their families safe" she broke the news "I didn't make enough for myself"

Elijah's head flung back and rested on the tree he leant up against. "I guess this is it then" Elijah was never one to give up "just do one more thing for me"

Marianne slightly smiled as if to agree to what he wanted.

"Close your eyes"

She furrowed her eyebrows, not long ago he had told her to keep them open, what was he planning? Marianne finally shut her eyes and it felt the weight of the world was lifted from her shoulder.

"Open them" his voice made her open them, and her body felt as light as ever and the pain had disappeared.

"What?" She laughed as she opened her eyes, everything seemed absolutely perfect as she looked closer into her surroundings. "Oh my..."

"I thought maybe you'd like to spend your last moments somewhere where your best memories were made" Elijah referred to her childhood, when she was with family not her older years with her revenge plot.

"How'd you know what my home looked like" she stood within the long grass that grew just outside her door. The sky shone orange as the sun had began to set, one of her favourite times of day.

"I saw it in one of your dreams, that night when I shared your bed because of that storm"  he informed her.

"And your clothes, everything looks the same as it did" Marianne looked at her dress and then Elijah's outfits, it was so perfect. "Can I..."

Marianne pointed to the house a few steps away, she wanted to know if she could go in or if this was just it. "Go ahead" it was everything Marianne had always wanted ever since she was brought back to life, the place she fit in, the place where she was happiest. She had given up all hope of seeing everything the way it had been, she knew she'd never see it again.

Marianne opened the door to see the exact same room that she used to play in, that she used to see her mother and father in. It had wooden floors, walls and window sills. The wooden table and chairs were worn down, covered in dust and weakened like it used to be. This was the place she felt at home the best; well she would now bump it down to second best, as where she felt most at home was in Elijah's arms.