35

"A pinch of ash" Marianne whispered as her fingers latched onto a small pile of ash. She transferred it into a bowl, one hand reaching for ingredients whilst the other gripped onto a tool she used to grind it down.

Marianne was sat downstairs, she wasn't too fussed whether or not they asked what she was doing. All it was was a little spell creation, just an idea she thought she could bring to life. And she didn't particularly want to wake Elijah up, he still slept soundly next to her when she arose.

Marianne stopped and turned to the page, picking up a pencil and adding more lines to the spell she had drawn up. It didn't particularly surprise her how easy she could create a spell, and without instruction, nobody would be able to replicate it.

She smiled, her eyes scanning over the sheet for any anomalies or errors. Marianne was completely happy with the spell she had conjured up.

It wasn't far long until the family came down, one by one. Freya first, then Rebekah, then Hayley, then Niklaus and then Elijah. Each asking separately what on earth she was up to.

Marianne locked gazes with Elijah, she pulled her lip between her teeth to stop her smiling like a maniac. But inside she felt like a teenage girl again, she felt like she had a crush. It was a similar feeling to what she felt when she first got to know him. Only this time, she appreciated it more, because she knew what she had lost.

"What are you up to here?" Elijah walked over to the table, lifting small objects and pots.

Marianne took one jar from his hand "I'm experimenting, it is none of our business as of yet" she Said, putting the jar back down on the table "and be careful with that, it's rare" Marianne couldn't help but smile up at him, both not being able to deny the attraction between them.

Elijah lifted his arms up in surrender and to show Marianne them so she knew he wasn't touching anything.

"Good" she nodded "now, I just need to do a quick binding spell, add some water and its finished"

Marianne took a bottle of water, pouring it over as she shut her eyes and concentrated. The cold water now turned hot, smoke rose from the bowl as she poured it into separate cups. "And all of you are going to be my Guinea pigs"

Marianne stood from her position, handing each member a cup. Elijah, Rebekah, Niklaus, Freya and Hayley.

"I'm not comfy drinking some weird liquid from a stranger" Hayley commented as she peered down at the liquid "it's bubbling"

"It's nothing bad, trust me, you'll know if I wanted to harm any of you" Marianne explained "I just want to see what happens"

Marianne watched as every single member of the family took the elixir. Some downed it all in one whilst others sipped at it until it was all gone.

"Well?" Marianne asked "how'd you feel?"

"A little bit nauseous" Rebekah placed the cup down "it wasn't exactly a fine wine was it?"

"What did it do?" Klaus asked, trying to hold back his nausea. Honestly, it was disgusting.

"Noth..." Marianne shrugged and went to say something when a box slid into the middle of the compound from outside. Nobody on the other side to claim it.

"Random box out of the middle of nowhere suddenly ends up in the middle of the compound, with everybody here" Hayley explained, walking over to lift it "how suspicious?"

Elijah jumped infront of her and put his hand out to stop her from moving any closer "it could be dangerous" he said. Hayley looked up at him, with mixed emotions, before backing off.

"It's alright, I can sense it, it's my dangerous" Marianne strode pass them, trying not the feel the tension between the two. But it was there, it was like a slap in the face.

She bent down and lifted the pristine wire box onto the table next to her, she undid the flap carefully and peeled back the lid, causing the walls of the box to fall down.

She lifted the handwritten card with extreme care and delicacy. The edges so sharp it could draw blood. "why can't he just leave us be?" She muttered to herself as her blood turned freezing cold.

"What is it?" Elijah brushed past Hayley and stood beside Marianne to look at the note. Gosh, make your mind up she thought.

"I hereby invite you all to the annual Strix masquerade ball" Elijah read out, skimming past the details nobody really needed to know.

"Turn it over" Marianne guided Elijah's hand and revealed a personalised note. "Class it as your last night of freedom before I ascend upon you all" she read. Taking the card and throwing it to the floor. "Incendia" she whispered and allowed it to go up in flames.

"Well...?" Rebekah asked "are we going or not?"

Marianne twiddled her thumbs "I don't particularly want to..." She trailed off, but she needed to think strategically about it all "but if Tristan is going to be busy with the execution of his ball then we might be able to look around to see what he is up to, or any weaknesses and so on"

"You have a point" Elijah nodded, agreeing with every single word that came out of her mouth "me, Niklaus, Freya and Rebekah will go; Hayley and Marianne, you'll stay"

"What?" Both women spoke in unison. You can't leave me alone with her Marianne thought as she nudged Elijah and tried to send signals.

"I'm the reason that Tristan has invited us all" Marianne tried to make up a good excuse "you cannot leave me behind"

"I agree with him" Rebekah added "both of you can stay here"

"Elijah, I'm a hybrid, I can take care of myself" Hayley argued

"Then stay, and look after your daughter" Elijah retaliated "we don't know if Tristan is planning anything, and I'd prefer to keep both of you as safe as possible"

Marianne huffed. She folded her arms and stared up at him.

Like someone telling her no wasn't going to stop her.