27

"You know you can't just ignore Elijah forever" Rebekah said when they were on their own. She knew Marianne like the back of her hand and she knew what she was doing"you'll have to talk to him sooner or later"

Marianne looked at her; she was still in awe of the huge contraption she drove. Somehow, she couldn't quite grip the terms of a car. "I know what I can and cannot do Rebekah" Marianne said, leaning her head back and looking through the windscreen "it's been running through my mind ever since I woke up on the other side"

Rebekah fell silent. Of course she had time to think about it all, the other side was this huge put of nothingness where all you could do was watch the living world from the sidelines. And according to Freya, Marianne didn't even do that. So she was stuck, alone with nothing else but her mind to keep her busy. Of course she had thought it all over.

"You know it hasn't been easy for him either?" Rebekah asked "I'm not condoning what he did, but he is my brother"

"I am aware he is of your blood and I do not blame you for that, for you still are my closest friend, Rebekah" Marianne half smiled "and I understand it might not have been easy for him, but he does look happy now with that other girl beside him"

Rebekah thought. "Other girl?" She asked

"The one that is like Niklaus, I'm not sure of her name but it seems that he has moved on. Therefore, my presence will not effect him whether I speak to him or not" Marianne tugged on her seatbelt to try and get comfortable "anyway I believe that if I did speak to him, I would not be able to remain the calm and collected girl you see before you"

Rebekah turned and parked the car, motioning for Marianne to step out. "As I said, you cannot ignore him forever. It's practically impossible"

"I'll give it a good go" Marianne replied, her hands raised in the air as her eyes scanned the door to try and open it.

Rebekah rolled her eyes and leant over "it's this one love" her fingers pulled the handle and then pushed the door open, for Marianne to get out.

"Why is everybody dressed so strange?" Marianne asked as she walked around the car to see Rebekah "I saw a woman dressed without many clothes, she'd surely be put to death for that"

"It's the 21st century" Rebekah laughed "fashion has changed a hell of a lot and nobody can be put to death for wearing hardly anything now"

"Strange" Marianne shrugged,she twiddled her fingers as she walked through the gates, only to realise she still wore the engagement ring Elijah had given her. Her heart silently broke and she had felt like she had just been kicked in the stomach. "Can I catch up with everybody later on?" She asked "or tomorrow, I am feeling very lethargic and I need some rest"

She nodded. "Of course, this gentleman will show you to your room" Rebekah gestured a young vampire to escort the witch up to her room. Because they had a great amount of things to speak about.

"How on earth are we going to break it to her that we need her help because Tristan is alive?" Rebekah asked "she is very fragile right now"

Freya agreed with her sister "we'll have to wait a few days until she regains her strength, get her used to the city and this situation she's in before we can say anything" she said "it might just push her over the edge and then nobody knows what she'd do"

"Then it's settled then" Rebekah clapped her hands "we won't break the news yet, how long should we give her? About three days?"

"Id say five, just because she's been gone for a thousand years" Elijah added "I know her. She isn't going to take this lightly; everything changing"

"She isn't taking other things lightly either" Rebekah raised her eyebrows at Elijah.

"I need to talk to you alone" Elijah motioned to his sister, wanting her to accompany him into the hallway to talk alone.

"Are you okay?" She asked as she followed him through.

Elijah turned to her as he stopped walking. "Has she said anything about me?" He asked

"Elijah-" Rebekah sighed "you know it is going to take time"

"She point blank ignored me, Rebekah. She looked at me and then pretended I didn't exist" he retorted "do you know how much it hurts?"

"You practically tore her heart from her chest, she's bound to act like the way she is now" Rebekah tried to reason with him "she is going to be here for a very long time, I told her she cannot ignore you forever"

"What did she say?" He asked

Rebekah swallowed. She was unsure if she should really say anything else, but the desperation in Elijah's face just made her spill it all "she told me that you'd be perfectly happy without her, because you have Hayley"

Elijah huffed "she knew that I'll take her back in a heartbeat"

"Well maybe she doesn't want that" Rebekah cut him off "Elijah, a thousand years on the other side can change a hell of a lot. Just give up or be patient. These things happen for a reason"

Rebekah was on her brother's side, but she needed to be sharp to get him to realise it. Elijah was going to obsess over this for a while now and he needed to be slapped into reality.

"You're right" he sighed, a bit shocked at how Rebekah just spoke to him. But he couldn't blame her. "I think I just need some time alone"

"It's a big thing, brother, as I said, leave her be and everything will fall into place"

Elijah nodded with a fake smile and turned around, walking up the stairs and into his room.

As he sat on his bed, before he put his head into his hands, Something caught his eye.

It was on his desk, only a small object but as the sun shone through the window, it reflected of something causing a bright light to enter Elijah's eyes.

He slowly stood and walked up to investigate the foreign object on his desk.

Elijah's fingers delicately lifted what lay on top of a stack of papers, feeling his heart crack.

In his hands lay his mother's ring and Marianne's engagement ring.