25

Hayley was the one to drag the shovel out into the bayou. Elijah had buried her deep into the forests, far along the river.

"You walked a long while" she exclaimed, it had been half an hour and though she possessed some kind of unnatural strength from being a hybrid, she was sick of carrying the shovel.

"We did get quite lost" Elijah spoke, he walked in front trying to remember the way they had walked. But how could he have forgotten? It cursed his dreams at night, him walking alone and watching in third person how a fantasy could then turn so dark. "Bearing in mind that the towns weren't as big or as lively as they are today"

He halted at the very familiar tree. The one he looked up at when he was talking to Marianne all those years ago. The tree draped down in waterfalls, acting like a curtain, something useful in case anyone were to stumble upon this little ... "Desecration of a grave" Hayley broke the silence as she pushed he shoved into the ground with one hand "not something I thought I'd be doing today"

She kept on digging and digging, huffing and puffing until Elijah's hand touched hers. Hayley looked up at him as he gently took the shovel from her hands and into his own.

"Elijah, you don't have to" Hayley knew that the vampire was effected by this, she was practically digging up his past, re opening old wounds.

"I put her in this grave, It's only fair for me to get her out" he began to dig. transferring all of his inner anger and letting it out through the dirt, he harshly stabbed the ground and threw the dirt behind him.

"Elijah, calm down" Hayley tried to stop him but he was engrossed in his task and he could only focus on that. "Elijah..."

They both stopped when the sound of the shovel banging against a hard surface. Elijah was digging so furiously, the shovel actually embedded itself into the lid of the coffin. He had to use a lot for force to pull it out.

It took a while and a lot of manoeuvring to actually get the coffin from the hole. But it was only small and full of just bones, so it wasn't a strain.

Once they knew the coffin was out and safe, he fell to the ground, emotionally exhausted. Hayley, however was unattached to the box of wood in front of them, so she stepped over and reached for the latch.

"What're you doing?" Elijah's hand intercepted hers before she could even touch the bronze latch.

"We need to check if it's really her before we take her to Freya" Hayley was thrown back by Elijah's sharpness when he stopped her "we can't just take an empty box"

Despite how insensitive Hayley put it, she was right. Elijah needed to face his fears, he has after all seen Marianne in the flesh, lying on the floor. What damage would some bones do?

The answer to that was a hell of a lot. As soon as Elijah opened the coffin, he had to shut it. "That is her" he indicated. Standing from his spot, he took hold of one side of the coffin as Hayley grasped the other end.

"We'll get this into the car and then we'll drive to Freya" Hayley described "we need to get this done before Tristan realises we're up to something"

They loaded the coffin into the back of the black car, before sitting in the front. Elijah was the one to drive, as he knew the exact way to the house.

But he first took a few moments to sit with one hand on the wheel and one on the gear stick. Elijah sighed loudly and just stared out of the windscreen, Hayley touched his hand and felt him tense.

"You don't have to do this" she told him. "You don't have to stay and watch it"

"It's been a thousand years" Elijah replied  "forgive me if I don't seem to ecstatic about the resurrection of the girl I murdered"

"It will be hard..."

"... She will never forgive me, and now I will have to live with her hating me, her looking at me in a different way, I dread to see her reaction, when I could barely live with imagining what she'd say" Elijah spoke his mind, letting his feelings flow to the girl whom he didn't realise felt a little awkward because she was also in love with him.

"These things take time" Hayley swallowed and tried to give some words of wisdom "it's also been a thousand years, you might not have realised it yet, but you've moved on"

Elijah put the car into gear and drove his way out of the space he parked and began to drive on his way. Maybe he had moved on, after all he's loved others after her. Celeste... Hayley.

But then again, the though of Marianne ignited something inside of him that had lay dormant. Nobody else had the effect on him. Or maybe it's because he was the reason she died, he never really got to say goodbye to her. He never got any closure.

"Maybe you're right" Elijah agreed "but I need this, I need closure"

"Of course you do" Hayley agreed, her hand on his leg as he drove "and I will be with you every step of the way"