08

Aya had darkened skin and darker eyes that seemed to hypnotise Elijah like something else; she was other-worldly.

He had been sat, talking to her for the good part of an hour, he couldn't recall what she had said. But what he could say was how happy he was, for the first time since Tatia's untimely death, he can admit he was moving on.

"And you are not listening, my Lord" Aya smiled and chuckled to herself

"No, please, carry on" Elijah refused, asking her to carry on her words for he enjoyed the symphony of her voice "of course I was listening"

"Then what was I saying?" She asked and Elijah could definitely not answer. "Needless to say, I am correct"

The conversation was interrupted by echoing footsteps becoming louder each second.

"I apologise, I did not realise the room was occupied" Marianne had burst in, her cheeks wet with tears and her eyes glowing red.

"Marianne" Elijah stood up, somehow as she entered everything else in the room disappeared or didn't matter anymore. Even Aya.

But Marianne had already escaped from where she had came. Elijah nodded to a very confused Aya, and ran in pursuit of Marianne.

"Marianne" he called after her "wait"

"I apologise again; nobody has really seen me cry before" Marianne looked away as she carried on walking, trying to hide her face. Also, trying to hide her fast heartbeat from him. Ever since she had that talk with Rebekah; she had been coming to terms for the very real feelings she had been developing.

"There is no need to hide" Elijah took her arm and forced her to a halt "now what has you so upset?" He asked, placing a finger underneath her chin so she would look at him.

"Would, I just don't feel very well, suffice?" She asked, her voice cracking as she looked in Elijah's deep hazel eyes.

He sighed loudly, shaking his head no.

"Just nerves" she carried on "I feel like maybe I am making a mistake, that I have thrown my life away just for an act of revenge. But it is too late now; it is a week to the wedding and Aurora just presented me my dress"

"You are always going to have a choice" Elijah told her sincerely "if you do not want this for yourself, you can walk"

"Elijah" Rebekah ran towards he brother in a blind panic, her eyes kept flickering from Marianne to Elijah and then back again "it's Niklaus"

"what of Niklaus?" Elijah tensed up and turned around, ready to run

"He's just brought Lucien up from the dungeons behind the library, Tristan has take into captivity and tortured him, he escaped and a guard killed Lucien, he is dead" Rebekah almost screeched, but she knew she had to keep her voice down.

Marianne teamed up further as she heard mention of the locked dungeons behind the library.

"Where are they?" Elijah asked

"Nik has taken the body into the forest, he wants to talk to us all together" Rebekah informed him "he says it's important"

"Did he say that the chambers were still open?" Marianne asked quickly, jumping in and feeing guilty for interrupting her.

"I-I think they were, I'm not sure-" Rebekah stuttered.

Elijah grasped Marianne once more and pulled her back as she went to run "you are not going alone"

"This could be my only chance before I am to be wed; I need to know for sure" she turned and spoke firmly

"Elijah, go quickly with her, I'll tell Niklaus to wait. We'll meet you by the river" Rebekah demanded "we cannot leave Nik alone but we cannot allow Marianne to put herself in danger"

Elijah nodded his head and without realising, her hand had already grabbed his. Elijah, obviously being faster than Marianne as her dress kept catching; almost pulled her over as he was running so quickly.

He stopped at the beginning of the stairs, peering down to see the door ajar and nobody there to protect or guard it.

"There is no time to stare" Marianne ran past him and down the stairs, almost causing rough breeze to blow the candle out, however it just flickered low for a bit.

She halted when she felt the warmth of inside, turning her head left and right to try and decipher any familiarity within the prisoners.

"Damien" she whispered loud enough to alert some prisoners, quiet enough so that nobody outside would hear it. Elijah stood by the door, listening for footsteps, ready to run if he needed to.

"Who knows my name?" A small voice replied, even making Elijah's heart skip a beat.

"It is I, Marianne" she replied "where are you?"

"Sister?" He replied, standing up and beckoning her over "I'm here"

He sounded so older than she had remembered, Marianne ran over to where she saw the boy standing and grabbed onto the iron bars that separated them. And of course, the plant it was infused with had blocked her magic.

"Oh my lord, Damien it's really you" she cried, trying to squeeze through the bars but eventually settling for taking his hand. "I'm going to get you out of here, I promise"

"Sister, I'm sick of this slum" he spat

"Just please, hang in there brother. One more week and I can get you out; I promise" she let go of his hand.

"Marianne, someone is coming"  Elijah heard small footsteps coming closer towards them.

Marianne raised her index finger to motion her brother to shush. She gave him a reassuring nod.

"They are coming closer; Marianne come here I will have to carry you out of here" he whispered when he realised someone would know when they saw them escape the chambers.

Marianne ran over and allowed Elijah to lift her up.

And then they sped off. Blowing out each candle on the way.