13

"Rebekah are you listening to me?" Marianne called from behind the screen "the dress is on but I cannot reach the buttons at the back" Marianne tried to reach around to her back but she couldn't grasp the buttons.

"Rebekah?" She asked again as someone had finally walked behind her and had begun to do the many buttons up.

It didn't feel like Rebekah's hands. It was a mans hand that touched her bare back slightly. It cause Marianne to jump and turn around, her hands grasping the chest of her dress to stop it from falling down.

"Elijah" she relaxed when she saw his soft expression "where did Rebekah go?"

"She thought maybe we needed some time alone" Elijah spun her around and began to carry on doing her buttons "I can tell you are scared"

"What gave it away? The fact my heart is beating quicker than usual?" She laughed nervously.

Elijah shook his head "the fact that your hands are shaking uncontrollably"

Marianne lifted her hand and watched how she couldn't stop it from moving. "I didn't realise that" she mentioned.

"Done" Elijah had worked his way up to the last button and slid it through the loop, tying the whole dress together. Marianne turned around and slid the gem covered headband on, wrapping Around her forehead.

"I feel nauseous" she admitted to him, her eyes glimmering with tears "I fear that I might throw up all over him"

"You'll be fine" he held the top of her arm for comfort "I will be there every step of the way; front row, if you are scared, turn to me" Elijah told her that she could confide in him, knowing that he calmed her.

Marianne sighed "it keeps me going, is that soon enough it'll all be over with. The hard part as gone and now all I need to do is pierce a dagger into his chest"

"... And then you are going to leave" Elijah looked away and came to the sharp realisation of what was to come

"I have no other choice" Marianne shrugged as her eyes locked with his, she finally realised Elijah's hand had travelled from the top of her arm and down to her waist. She finally realised she could feel her heart beating out of her chest.

"Um- I- I probably Have things to get on with" Marianne stuttered, squirming under his gaze, she unattached herself from Elijah and began to walk out from behind the screen. But Elijah had grabbed her hand and spun her back in, this time he didn't stall, this time he knew that it was important.

This time when he pulled her back in, his lips locked with hers. Marianne relaxed her muscles and finally she could actually kiss someone and mean it. This actually felt real, for to first time in her life, everything was real.

"I can't" Marianne had time to think before she pushed herself away from him "this is a mistake"

Elijah took hold of her again "it is not a mistake"

"Think about it, Elijah" Marianne snapped "it was complicated beforehand, I have thought out all of the scenarios and none of them have a good ending" she shrugged him off.

"I would have to leave, when I had fulfilled my mission, and I could not make you leave with me as you have such a good life here" Marianne then went on to explain "I could not kill Aurora as your brother loves her; and now it is worse, as she is now like you and when she finds out it was I who killed her brother..."

Elijah listened to every word intently, she had such a strong point. He hated it.

"... If she finds out I killed Tristan then she would chase me to the ends of the earth, and I could not have any contact with any of your family in fear she finds out" Marianne added "and that is why despite how much I want to, I cannot allow any of these feelings in"

Marianne took Elijah's hand, her arms covered in white lace; "it is either carry on with the plan I have wasted my life doing, or throw it away and marry Tristan to have a secret relationship with you and leave my brother to rot"

Elijah bowed his head. Of course he couldn't make her give up what she was here to do, and of course he couldn't leave his family to be with her and of course he couldn't tear Niklaus away from Aurora for it is the most human he has been since everything happened.

"you are very smart" he forced a smile, his eyes screaming in defeat. He squoze her hand tighter before convincing herself to let go. "It is something I admire in you"

"It hurts me to have to say that to you" Marianne gulped and shut her eyes, allowing a few tears to flow. She wanted to take his hand back and hold onto it forever "and I want you to know, if this were under any other circumstance; I would not hesitate to say yes"

"I don't doubt that one bit" Elijah placed his hand under her chin and gently wiped tears away with his thumb "I should leave you alone for a few moment before you have to go"

No please do not leave me alone

She felt like screaming it to him at the top of her lungs. She knew that when Elijah went, then she'd have to get married. A loyal binding contract struck until death do you part. And death will soon part them.

Marianne slightly smiled, knowing she's break if she said any more words. Elijah nodded his head and kissed her had before walking out of the door.

He walked down the hallway and found his back pinned against the wall, almost instantly after he turned the corner.

"Elijah" aurora seemed out of breath, blood smudged the corners of her mouth "I think we need to make a deal"