Chapter 24: Day of Diseases

Parvati walked out of Sandhya's hospital room, her palm bleeding a lot. She was about to ask a nurse for a bandaid, when a female doctor who was walking through the hall stopped in front of her.

"Are you okay?" the middle-aged lady asked her.

"Yeah, I was just looking for a bandaid," Parvati said.

The lady reached out and held Parvati's hand in hers gently, taking a look at the wound.

"It's bleeding a lot. How did you get it?" the doctor asked.

"I cut myself by accident with a wire," Parvati explained.

The doctor looked concerned.

"Come with me," she said. "I'll do the dressing."

Parvati nodded and followed the doctor into a room. She sat down on the bed as the doctor took a seat on the stool in front of her after getting the required medical supplies.

As the lady was applying the dressing, she talked to her.

"I'm actually a surgeon, but I'm on my break. If my pager starts beeping though there may be an emergency," she explained. "You're bleeding a lot more than normal. Do you normally bleed a lot when you just cut yourself?"

Parvati nodded, remembering back to the day she cut herself on the soap dispenser.

"It does bleed a lot," she explained.

"I want to run a few tests. Is it okay?" the doctor asked.

"Sure," Parvati said, sounding slightly nervous.

"Don't worry. It's probably not a big deal... let me run some tests, and I'll come back. By the way I'm Doctor Ruchi," the doctor introduced.

Parvati smiled at her.

"I'm Parvati," she replied.

Doctor Ruchi got up and left the room to order some tests to be done on Parvati.

It didn't take long for the test results to come back, but when they did, it was Doctor Ruchi herself who confronted her about the diagnosis.

"You have hemophilia," the doctor said. "It's a disease where your blood doesn't clot properly. It can get serious, but yours appears to be very mild."

"Anything to be concerned about?" Parvati asked the doctor softly.

"Try not to cut yourself. Don't do any activities that could bruise you or cut you, because it can be very difficult to stop the bleeding, leading to the loss of more blood," Ruchi explained. "If you lose a lot of blood quickly, it can put even your life in danger. So just be careful. There are cases where hemophilia leads to bleeding in internal organs, but for you that's not the case. Someone in your family might have it. It's passed genetically. Just be careful."

Parvati nodded.

"Thanks Doctor," Parvati said gratefully.

"No worries," Ruchi replied, placing a hand on Parvati's shoulder. "You just take care."

Parvati smiled politely at the doctor and then left the room, before going back to Sandhya's room to check up on Anshuman.