Chapter Two -- First Day

Mystery's POV -- August 25, 2016 -- 8:15 a.m.

I walk towards the back of the classroom and sit down in the seat that Mrs. Knowles, my new history teacher, has just assigned to me. I look around and to my (not so much) surprise, I have no friends in this class. I sigh and lay my head on my desk.

"May I please have your attention up here class?" Mrs. Knowles says after she's finished seating the last person, pulling my attention to the front of the class. "Welcome to your Ancient World History class, to start off, I'm aware that there are many sophomores or new students in this class, so we're going to play a little get to know you game. I'm going to pair you up with someone in the class, and you'll have 15 minutes to get to know them. You'd better start to like that person now because that person will be your partner for the rest of the year." The whole class sighs. She starts to list names and I notice that she is partnering in boy-girl. I curse under my breath. Most of the class is paired up and there's only six people (including me) left.

"Jane Bird and Mystery Volt." She says as she motions for me to walk up to the front of the classroom.

The girl who I'm paired with looks back at me and quickly turns away and I smile. I grab my bag and walk over to the empty desk beside her. I sit down and wait for her to look at me.

She has long straight blonde hair that reaches her hips with a white bow holding her bangs back. Her eyelashes are thick and obviously fake and she has a thin line of eyeliner surrounding her multicolored eyes. She's wearing a white tank top with a pink sequined infinity sign on it and light faded jeans with white converse. She's really cute -- beautiful honestly -- but not really my type.

I give up waiting for her. I brush my hair to the side and say, "Hey, my name is Mystery." And I hold my hand out for her to shake.

I smile as she looks at me and shyly shakes my hand. "I'm Jane." She says softly.

She pulls her hand away and we sit in an awkward silence. I think of miscellaneous conversation topics to bring up. "So who's your favorite band?" I ask and she turns to look at me. That's the only thing I could think of to talk about.

She takes a minute to think before she says, "I like Meghan Trainor and Justin Timberlake."

I laugh. "I asked, who your favorite band was, not artist." Is she being serious?

She frowns. "Fine. Five Seconds of Summer then."

I chuckle again. I think she is being serious.

"What? They're a good band with good songs!" She defends with wide eyes.

I raise my hands in surrender. "Sorry! I just don't- never mind." I smile to myself. I wonder why she's getting so offended over a band like that.

"Ok. So, um, who's your favorite band?" She asks awkwardly.

"Pierce the Veil, My Chemical Romance, Green Day, and lots of others." I brush my hair to the side again.

"I said band. Not bands." She says in a snarky tone.

I smile, impressed by her fire. "Well in that case, Pierce the Veil is my favorite band." I motion down to my Pierce the Veil t-shirt and she blushes slightly.

We look into each other's eyes for a split second then sit the rest of the 15 minutes in silence.

Hey guys! Just so you know not every chapter will be like this: repeating the events from another point of view. That only applies to these first two chapters. Anyways, thanks for just about everything and make sure to comment, vote, and recommend! ❤

----------
Photograph is Mystery Volt