Chapter Thirteen -- Father Chat

Mystery's POV

This moment was magical. We kissed passionately but not too passionately and now we were just enjoying each others warmth and presence. Then the lights came on.

She pulls away from me and looks up at the porch.

"Shit..." she hisses. "I better go."

She goes in for a quick kiss but I change that. I hold her in place and kiss her for just a few more seconds than she was intending. When I pull away, she has a frazzled look in her eyes and I wink, making her blush as she gets out of the car.

I wait to make sure she gets inside her house ok. When she opens her door, I see her dad standing in the doorway. He doesn't look happy.

Jane cowers beneath her dad as he starts to whisper, obviously in a stern tone. They have a small conversation before he turns to me in my car and motions for me to get out.

I obey. Despite all the good this guy has done for me and my family, he still scared the shit out of me sometimes.

I walk over to the porch and stand next to Jane.

"Hmm... Mystery Volt. Are you aware of what time it is son?" He asks me in his deep, stern voice.

"It's 1:30 sir." I say quietly.

"Yes it is. Can you please explain to me why my daughter is out this late and with you?"

"We were on a date sir. I took her to a drive through movie screening. It was playing both of the Tim Burton's Alice in wonderland movies and I knew she liked them so I thought it would be fun if we went together." I answer.

"And, may I ask, why, exactly, did you want to ask my daughter out?" he crosses his arms.

"Um, well sir, wither you approve or not, I really care about your daughter, deeply actually. And I would really like to get to know her better and I'd also like for her to get to know me so that someday, she might hopefully feel the same for me as I do for her." I look Mr. Bird in the eyes then look down at his daughter. The look in her eyes tells me that she's touched by my words. Which makes me smile.

Her dad thinks for a minute. "Jane, you know the talk me and you and your mother had before we moved here?"

Jane looks at her feet. "Yes. I remember."

"You know how both me and your mother feel. And if she knew about this, you would be living in a new house by tomorrow morning. But I'm more lenient than her so I'm going to let it slide. I won't stop you two from going out, Mystery is a good and hard working kid, but she needs to be home by 10:30 no matter what. Alright you two?"

I smile and nod. "Yes sir! Thank you!"

He makes a "shew" motion and I take that as my cue to leave.

"Goodnight Jane. I'll see you later." I wink at her as I head back to my car and drive away.