Chapter Nine -- Idiot

Mystery's POV -- September 19, 2016

I punch my locker. This is ridiculous! I'm such an idiot! Why the hell did I do that to her? She's probably humiliated! Yes she may like the same bands as me, she may hurt herself like I do, but she's a popular chick! She's just like the people who beat me up in the hallway and egg my car. The same kind of people who made my brother kill himself four years ago. I can't feel this way about her.

The lunch bell rings, letting me know that these empty halls will be swarming with hungry teenagers within seconds.

I head towards the cafeteria to get my lunch before the lines get too long.

After I get my cold chicken in gravy meal, I start to walk out and head to my silent lunch corner. But then I see her. She's sitting alone, with her earbuds in her ears and a notebook in front of her.

As I watch, I notice some other popular kids, people that she used to hang out with, giving her dirty glares and flipping her off behind her back.

That's it. Instead of going to my own corner, I place my tray next to her and sit down at her table.

She looks up at me with a look that says what the hell are you doing here? I simply smile at her and begin eating.

I look over at her notebook and I see that she's drawing. It's of a boy with scars on his arm and a new cut and behind him on the wall is his shadow. However, his shadow has eyes, pointy teeth, horns, and claws.

"That's amazing." I say as I watch her fix up some details on the boy.

"Thanks." she says simply. "Why are you here?" she keeps drawing.

"Because there was an empty seat." I take another bite of food.

She looks at me with an are you serious face and I smile.

"Hey emo boy! What are you doing here? And sitting by my princess?" Jared comes and takes the other seat next to Jane, with Jessica and Paige close behind.

I look over at Jane and she looks confused and slightly scared.

"I'm eating. That's what I'm doing here. In case you didn't notice." I say bluntly and take a large bite of food for effect.

Jessica rolls her eyes and Jared smirks. "But with my princess? Why don't you eat in that corner of yours, with your other friends." he almost spits on the word friends.

Jane looks up at me and mouths don't leave me... and I nod.

"Jared what do you want?" Jane asks with spice in her tone.

"Baby what's that tone for? I just wanted to sit by my princess!" he slides his arm around her waist and she tenses up but doesn't do anything.

"Please Jared. Please just leave." she says quietly.

"Jane sweetcake, but don't you remember what happened last friday night?" he nuzzles her cheek.

"Jared we were drunk." she says in a warning tone.

"But honey, they say that we're our best selves when we're drunk. That means you too by the way." he moans. "Just remembering the way you unbuttoned my shirt and massaged my chest. And the way you danced for me in the dark. And the way your skin tasted as I bathed you in kisses." he moans again. "The way you danced on my lap! Oh god. And your body just felt so right in my hands. And it still does." he slides his hand up her torso and gropes her breast.

A tear trickles down Jane's cheek and my face heats up.

I stand up and throw my fist into Jared's jaw. Making all three girls at the table scream and Jared topple off his chair.