Chapter Twenty-one -- Need

Jane's POV -- June 19, 2019

I wake up and feel someone's arms around me. I look over to see a man with brown hair and stubble on his chin. He was naked. I was naked.

I remember with horror what I've been doing the past year. I've been sleeping around for money. I barely graduated high school and I decided to move in with my boyfriend, Tate, right out of high school. I met Tate at my last high school Mainridge. We were the couple of the year.

A few months after high school, I got pregnant and Tate made me abort. I was an emotional wreck and we broke up soon after. Now I'm living with my friend Katey who signed me up for this job. It sucks but pays well.

I slowly and quietly got out of bed and found my various items of clothing on the floor and head out.

I drive home to the apartment and walk into my room and collapse on the bed.

After I first lost my virginity with Jared, I just couldn't handle myself anymore. I was ashamed at what I did and telling myself it was out of love just wasn't cutting it.

Speaking of cutting, I've found other ways to hurt myself. I've been addicted to heroin for a year and a half now and I'm a "full-time smoker".

"Jane is that you?" Katey calls in her high pitched voice. She enters my room and squeals.

"Ooh! I LOVE your brown hair! It's gorgeous!" she sits on the edge of my bed. "You look tired, rough night last night?" she winks.

"Yeah..." I smile slightly. "Rough is one way to put it." I stretch out my sore hips and Katey giggles.

"So who's tonight?" She asks.

"Tonight's my free night, thank goodness." I pull out a cigarette and light it. "What about you?"

"His name is Ricky. He has long hair and claims to be an amazing rock star. Let's see, I believe that makes 3 rock stars so far." She laughs and I laugh with her.

"Yeah, ok, I'm going to sleep for a bit so I can go out tonight, you know, just have a little me time."

She smiles. "Sounds fun! Alright I'll let you sleep. I'll see ya tomorrow then!"

She walks out and I stand up to go to the bathroom. I walk in and the tub beckons to me. It's been too long since I've had a nice long bath.

I turn the water on, undress, and get in.

Almost immediately, as soon as my skin touches the hot water, I'm reminded of Mystery. I close my eyes as a single hot tear falls slowly down my cheek.

Mystery... I'm so goddamn sorry... If only you could see what I've become...

----------
Photograph is Katey