Chapter 32

Kristina and Ash-
Kristina pushed branches away and swatted mosquitoes with her hand. She didn't understand why Ash had to go so far, but whatever. She really didn't want the others to hear the talk she was going to have with him. If there was anything she hated and could definitely live without it was pity. She liked comforting every once in a while, but pity made her feel worse. One time in the library she was googled schizophrenia for a school project, and everyone kept giving her pitiful glances. Worst. Library.Trip. Ever.
After running through thick mud for about another fifteen minutes Kristina finally found Ash. He was way faster than she remembered, although it didn't matter when he had a Z army to fight for him.
"You took long enough to get here." Ash said as he stood up and wiped his hands on his pants. He had been sitting on a tree stump waiting for Kristina. He had been humming to himself when he heard the disruption of the leaves.
"Shut the fuck up. Now what do you want?" Kristina asked. She breathed deeply. She knew what Ash wanted to talk about, but she still didn't understand it. How could someone she believed to be dead, mourned for, cried for, blamed herself for not be dead?
"If you want to know he calls himself Kayden now." Ash said with a sigh. Kristina saw a hint of sadness and vulnerability behind the wall he put between himself and the world. To be honest, she did feel a little bad for him.

"Oh well, we stay in a hotel around the corner. It has rats and stuff, but its better than nothing. I mean we could always call that one Z that likes rats." Gaby answered Jax's question. The group stared at her in confusion.
"What about Persephone? Where do you keep the Zs?" Romeo asked.
"Now that I can't tell you. Either way, you can't just go there. It'd be too many Zs even for you people. Also, who's he?" Gaby asked. She waved a hand at Ethan, because she was taught that pointing was rude.
Ethan stepped forward Kristina's gym bag was slung across his shoulder. One backpack on his back, and another in his arms. "I'm Ethan."
"Oh, you look a lot like Ash. Has anyone told you that? Where do you come from anyway?" Gaby asked. She already shipped him with Romeo. Although, she didn't think Kristina would approve.
"The town your boyfriend burned down, sweetheart." Ethan said with sarcasm.
Gaby changed the subject, "Whats in the bag?"
"It's Kristina's. In short, I don't know what's in it." Ethan replied. Romeo and the rest glanced at the bag. Ethan shifted uncomfortably. He held the backpack in his arms like a mother cradling a baby.
"I wonder what's in it. Who says we open it?" Gaby said curiously. Her gaze fixed on Ethan in a sort of challenge.
"I don't think we should-" Xander began.
"Let's do it!" Jax interrupted. He moves over to Ethan and clapped him on the shoulder. Ethan pulled the gym bag away from the group.
"Uh....well Kristina told me-" he started to explain uneasily.
"Please, who cares?" Gaby said and the group moved towards the bag.

"I'm going to kill him." Ash said decisively.
"No, you're not!" Kristina yelled. She ran towards Ash. She had decided to put distance with him, but he just crossed the line.
"I will if you don't back away!" Ash said firmly putting his hands in front of him.
Kristina slowly backed away. She only hoped Ash hadn't already killed Kayden. If he did she wouldn't be able to live with herself.
"Okay, because I don't want you looking for him I will tell you the truth. I already killed him. He's a zombie now." Ash said. Kristina learned to recognize when he lied. This was one of those times. She looked at him up and down. Two bandages. One was used for the cut she did with her knife on his upper arm, the other she didn't know. Ash said he saw Kayden with a sword. Maybe, Kayden cit him with it, because of his amnesia.
"No, you didn't. He cut you didn't he, across the chest with his sword. Right?" Kristina suggested. She hoped she was right. If she wasn't everything she hoped for was lost.
"No. I did kill him, Kristina." Ash replied defiantly. Kristina scoffed at his refusal.
"He raked you and ran away because of his amnesia. He was always faster than you. It all makes sense, but why do you want to tell me about all of this?" Kristina asked. She knew Ash cared for Kayden as much as he cared for Chris, but why tell her?
"I want you to find him, and notify me if he comes to you." Ash said. A little bit of desperation leaked out again. This time Kristina didn't feel pity.
"Fuck you." Kristina said. She spat at his feet, and began to walk away.
Kristina, please!" Ash called out. Ash hardly said please. Even in the most dire situations. It ran in the family. Kristina stopped and thought about what he had said.
"Oh, I'll find him alright, but you sure as hell will be the last person to know." Kristina set off to walk away again, before Ash could say anything.
"He's my-" Ash started even though Kristina heard this excuse many times before.
"Brother too!" Kristina said mimicking Ash. "You better keep your mouth shut, or the next word you say will be your last." Kristina ran away from Ash. She broke free from the forest to find Ethan backed up against a tree. Gaby and Jax were pointing at him repeatedly stating things Kristina couldn't hear, while Ethan clutched Kristina's stuff around him. Kristina sighed. She should've expected this.
"Okay! Give me my things, Ethan." Kristina stalked over to Ethan and grabbed her stuff. As she was doing that Ash burst through the trees. A look of great dissatisfaction was set upon his face.
"Babe, we're going." He said strictly. Gaby just shrugged. She moved to stand along side him.
"Don't dare follow us, or we'll have you killed." Ash said, and with that Gaby and Ash pushed their way through the trees.
"Guys, we should get out of here. Ash already knows we're here. Ethan, do you know the way out?" Romeo ordered setting his deflated pack on his shoulders.
"Yeah. Its this way." Ethan said and pointed the opposite way Ash was going.
"Great." Romeo said finally.