Normal Kid

Jr refused to sleep in his room after what happened. I don't blame him. I would be afraid to sleep in my room too if one of my mom's old boyfriends came in a beat the shit out of my dad just to be taken away in the back of a police car.

My boys and I are curled up in my bed watching Spongebob. Harry's head is hidden in the crook of my neck as his hands run large circles on my inner thigh. Jr is curled up on my lap, his hand in mine as his feet rub together against my leg for warmth; a blanket over us.

"Mummy?" Jr calls.

"Yes baby."

"Can I have apple juice?" he asks.

"Of course." I smile at him.

"Harry get off so I can get some juice for us." I shake my shoulder.

"I'll get it." he tells me.

"I got it babe, really." I tell him and get up also.

"I'll get the juice. You guys stay here." he tells me. I nod and lay back on the bed.

"Mummy?" Jr calls again.

"Yes baby."

"Is daddy a superhero? " he asks.

"Why did you ask that?"I ask.

"He fought the bad man." he says in a 'duh' tone.

"I guess daddy is a superhero. " I smile. He smiles also and lays back down.

"Two apple juice boxes for the lady with the baby. And one for mini-me." Harry smiles.

"Thanks babe." I smile at him and he lays back down.

Soon, Jr is asleep and Harry and I continue to watch Spongebob.

"You wouldn't believe what Jr said." I smile at him.

"What'd he say?"

"He said that you're a superhero. " I smile.

"Really? He thinks that?" his face holds a giddy grin.

"Yeah. He said you fought the bad man." I laugh.

"That is too cute." he smiles and kisses his sleeping son's forehead.

"Touché." I lay my head on his chest and stroke softly through the messing chocolate curls that sit atop my son's head.

"He looks just like you." I whisper.

"I can't take all the credit. He has such a kind soul. Just like his mother." he smiles.

"Harry?" I call to him.

"Baby?" he mocks.

"I was thinking-" I trail off.

"About?" he urges on.

"Putting Jr in school." I say softly.

"I don't know." he says.

"Why not? He can't be here all day. He needs to make friends and learn new things. While you're on tour, he can't be here all day. I'm pregnant and he's a boy. He needs to run around and not give me a headache. What better place to do than at school?" I tell him.

"We'll talk about it. He's only three and a half-"

"Four in January. " I interrupt.

"What I'm saying is I'm worried. I don't trust him with anyone except you or family."

"But he needs to have normal kid experiences. He can't spend his whole life hiding from the paps." I argue.

"He's not a normal kid though." he points out.